Thursday, August 22, 2013

Back Where I Come From…Part 2

Hey there, friends! Long time, no see. I have to apologize. After I last wrote my kids tracked out. Track outs for us year-round schoolers means we have three weeks to cram everything in…think of it as summer break on steroids. We travel, see friends and family, vacation, and do all the around the town fun we can. It’s Operation:Keep kids busy and happy. Which means no blogging for this mama. As much as I try it just falls to the waste-side. But hey, kids come first, right?!

Another thing that has taken much of my time is I’m now serving on the PTA board at our school. I thought the opportunity was a good one since both kids are now in school, it would be a good fit for me. Well, I must say that I was starting to think that when people tell me, “You can do this job, it’s easy”, I should run the other way as fast as I can…sprinting is more like it. When I took over the position of VP of Members and Volunteers I failed to take in the consideration that not only was I learning a new position and Excel and the craziness of the beginning of the year and membership drive, but oh yeah, my kids are tracking OUT!

I was a bit overwhelmed by it all but with a lot of help from some great new friends and fellow board members, I’m finally feeling at ease with this new position and I’m starting to feel like I know what I’m doing. Or at least I’m faking my way through all of it. Ha!

Ok, so back to the matter at hand. I just wanted to give you a little background as to where I’ve been the last month. Just in case you missed me {Maybe a smidgen?}

Any-way, when I last wrote I think I left on kind of a downer. With my Back Where I Came From post I wrote about how I had heard my hometown…the town I love…was “dying”. And how could people let a great little town with so much potential just die and not let it prosper.

It’s hard. When you move away from your hometown, things change. I remember my childhood and what a fabulous one I had in this great little town and in some crazy way I think it will always be that way. The buildings will always stand, the roads will always curve, and the spirit will always live. All these are true, in a sense. Buildings as we know do crumble and fall, but roads will always curve; maybe not in the direction we want them to, but they curve for the good. And the spirit. We can’t forget the spirit. As I rolled into town a few weeks ago, I have to admit I was nervous. I didn’t know what to expect. Had my hometown become this dark and dreary place where no shop would be open or stop light would work? Or had it become more like a ghost town you see in the old Wild West movies with dust flying everywhere and buildings falling down.

Ok, so maybe I’m exaggerating a tad. I mean it’s not like I’ve not gone back in years…only since December. But to be honest, when I read things on social media about my hometown not offering incentives for businesses to come in and grow and how some might feel the leaders don’t want change. It kind of paints a bad picture in this girl’s head who moved away. I know that was not the intention and people are genuinely concerned for the town, but I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised to see just how well the town was doing as I rolled down Highway 19.

The highway had been expanded. There seemed to be life out there, and I believe I even saw a smile from the heavens as I passed those golden arches into town. I was back. I was home, and it wasn’t dead…and as my daddy put it, “they’re not even sick.”

You know how when you have kids and you see them everyday, you don’t notice how much they grow. But, you go away for even a couple of days to return to these beings that have grown 5 feet {ok, again, a tad exaggeration…but you know what I mean}. I feel it’s kind of like that for me. No I don’t see the day to day life in Thomaston, but when I come home I feel it’s grown. No, the textile mills aren’t there anymore, but there’s still great shops that I wish we had here in Raleigh. Friendly, neighborhood shops where everyone knows everyone and are genuinely happy to see you. And no, I don’t see the ins and outs of starting businesses in a small town {any town for that matter} so I don’t know how all that works, but I do know I saw stores being opened and buildings that have been empty for years being used once again. I know for a fact that you can take your embroidery work to the local shop and she’ll have it done that day. Doesn’t happen here.

Yes, we may have more “things to do”. Other towns may have a Target, Starbucks {which I always crave while I’m home}, and a Publix. But we don’t have the mom and pop shops that have been around for years, where you can go in and just put your purchase on your “tab” and leave. I didn’t even think that existed anymore! Having moved away I will say there is something to be said for a small town. Yes it does has it’s downfalls, but doesn’t every city. Name me one other place where you can have your hairstylist come to your house and do yours’, your children’s, and your husband’s hair all at the same time. Would never happen here, and I’m good friends with my hairstylist {Love ya, Kat!}

I think just like with everything, the grass is always greener on the other side. For Thomaston that might be a short drive to Griffin to shop at your favorite grocery store, or hit the road for an hour to visit the closest mall. A big{ger} town has it’s downfalls too. You miss the hometown feel that a small town can bring, even if that means everybody knowing your business.

All-in-all, I’ll finish my tangent to say this…Thomaston was, still is, and will always be my hometown. As Kenny Chesney said that’s, “Back where I come from”. I love driving into town and seeing the changes. I love bringing my kids to a town that I call home. So yes, the buildings still stand, the roads still curve, and the spirit lives on. Don’t get discouraged my Thomaston friends. Fight! Fight like crazy to keep that town we love special to all of us near and far. Don’t give up! There will always be mountains to climb, but climb them and press on. From this girl who moved away in my eyes, Thomaston is not dying. You’re looking good!

Ok, now for some pictures! Like I said we did have a great time visiting my parents. We got to catch up with old friends {which I absolutely loved}, we went to the river to skip rocks, swam in a family friend’s pool, went and got some GA peaches, and even had a history lesson {we visited the old covered bridge}. What a great week we had. Here’s a few pictures from our trip.

Phone pics - August 2013 008

Phone pics - August 2013 015

Phone pics - August 2013 016

Phone pics - August 2013 019

Phone pics - August 2013 030

Phone pics - August 2013 032

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you stuck with me through my little tangent there. I truly love my hometown!

Until next time!

S~

1 comment:

  1. One of my Aunts, Francis Willis Parker, mom's sister lived in Thomaston with her family. My mother loved her sisters with a passion and we went over often to visit. I was the same age as my cousin, Tommy Parker. We, way back then, enjoyed some of the same 'wonders' of Thomaston just as you did as a little girl growing up. Of course, at that time, the 'strip' wasn't there...but he attended R.E. Lee..hooked me up with a Thomaston boyfriend and from playing 'roll the bat' to hangin' at Piggy Park as teens..I always loved Thomaston. Potato Creek, Tree Lined sidewalks and streets named for the alpahbet...almost make a whole sentence. Now, some of my dearest friends live there giving me the opportunity to go back in the present and back in time.
    You gotta say Silver Town correctly, it's SivaTown and you gotta love life then and now living in the 'non-dying' beautiful city of Thomaston,GA.
    Mrs.Vicki Yoe

    ReplyDelete