Friday, August 3, 2012

Kitchen Transformation

Well, my kitchen’s been “finished” for about a month now. I’ve been wanting to post the outcome, but to be honest, I needed a mental break from it. This was a huge undertaking, but well worth the sweat and tears. I LOVE the outcome, and can’t wait to share it with you.

After completing the laundry room and seeing what a difference painting the cabinets white made, I knew I had to do the kitchen. Only problem…I have about 52 cabinets and drawers (yes, I may or may not have counted them…multiple times).

So, I decided to take it slow and do one section at the time. First, let’s take a look at how the kitchen looked before the transformation.

kitchen before collage

We painted the kitchen red after we moved in because I always wanted a red kitchen. I must say I have loved my red kitchen, but, this year I started feeling that the red was kind of caving in on me. I was ready for a change. Once I started painting the cabinets white, I knew I wanted to make it lighter and brighter in here…so the red had to go.

I started with the cabinets where the sink is.

blog stuff 2012 001

Now, for the kitchen cabinets I decided to do the old fashion way of painting cabinets…clean, lightly sand, prime, and paint. A bit of a process but it worked great.

April 2012 097

What a difference! I was in love, and knew I had to continue…well that and knew that once I started there was no turning back.

I worked on a section at a time, and each section took about a week  from start to finish. All-in-all it took about a month to complete. The main reason is because I’m a stay at home mom with two young kids and a hard working husband. The only time I had to paint was at night after the kids went to bed and on the weekend when my sweet, awesome husband could watch the kids for me.

It was a s-l-o-w process, and I’d be lying if I told you I loved every minute of it. I did not. There were times I was ready to pull my hair out, and there were a few tears shed during the process. However, in the end I absolutely love the outcome. They are now so bright the room really started to pop.

After finishing the cabinets white, I wanted to make the island different. I wanted to do those cabinets in a color. I knew I was going to paint the walls a light grey, so after much deliberation and picking brains of my friends, I decided to paint them a darker grey. So, Eric and I put up bead board on the ends of the island to match the bead board back splash we already had. I then got to painting…again.

island collage 2

The cabinets were finished and it was time for the floors to be refinished. We have wanted to have the floors sanded and re-stained since we moved here 5 years ago. We decided this year was the year we’d take the plunge and re-do the floors and get new carpet.

May 2012 010

They got sanded and stained and I love, love, love them. They are perfect. Did I say I love them???

Well, the floors were finished, we painted the walls a light grey, and then it was time to put the room back together. Are you ready? Here we go…

July 2012 166

July 2012 167

Side cabinets collage

kitchen collage 1

July 2012 193

July 2012 171

I used the valance that my mama and her friend made for me last year, and used a few of the same lemon accessories I had. I made a collage wall with a few things I had previously. I made the “L” board with an L I bought for $1.00 at Michael’s and a piece of wood I had on hand.

July 2012 011

It’s not 100% complete (of course). There’s a couple of things I’m still wanting to do.

July 2012 010

I have this nook area on one set of top shelves. I’m not sure what I want to do here yet…I’m sure it’ll come.

July 2012 013

I’d like to get a cabinet or some sort of shelf thing for this area by the table under the lemon painting. I’m keeping my eyes out for this one.

Well, there you go…my kitchen transformation.

I am so in love with it. What do you think???

4 comments:

  1. I think this looks great! I never would have guessed it was the same kitchen. Nice work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kitchen looks so pretty! We recently painted our kitchen cabinets white too and I'm so happy with the results! Love the gray island as well. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just blown away!!! SO BEAUTIFUL!!!! You are so super talented with all this! I'm going to hire you to do my house next! ;)

    ReplyDelete