Monday, October 1, 2012

Front Door Curtains

Hey, y’all. Happy Monday to ya. I don’t know about where you are, but it’s a pretty cool, and very wet Monday here. I’m loving it. Makes me want to stay locked up in the house and sew…or watch a movie.

I’m so excited to share with y’all today my front door curtains. I mentioned on Saturday’s post that I actually finished them. I’ve been wanting to make curtains for my front door since I saw them at the Southern Living Idea House back in August. I mean who knew that adding something so simple as curtains would really dress up a door. Crazy!

Here’s what my front door looked like prior to Saturday night:

blog stuff 2012 021

As my Hunter would say…”BOR-ING”.

After seeing the curtains at the Idea House, I knew I had to make some…

Foyer

I mean, how gawgeous is that? I love how they just add a bit more character to the door.

They used burlap here, and I love the rustic yet chic look they give.

So, I knew I wanted to make curtains, and I wanted mine to be burlap as well. Now, you don’t have to make yours burlap, you can use any kind of material out there…just find one that suits you. I’m sure there are tons of ideas out there on Pinterest.

I bought the burlap and lining and was determined to make these curtains…only problem – I’ve never sewn curtains before. I’ve made curtains, yes. If you remember I made some No-sew curtains for my dining room. I wasn’t sure the tape would adhere to the burlap very well, and now I can kinda-sorta sew, so I was going to figure out how to sew these curtains.

Well, where’s the first place we go these days to find ideas for anything? Google? Google who? We all turn to our trusty friend and side-kick, Pinterest. Looking around I found the best blog that had a tutorial on how to make professionally lined curtains. You can find the tutorial HERE.

Allison does a fantastic job {in my opinion} of walking you through step by step on how to make these curtains. The best part of all, there are visual aids and pictures to go along with each step. This is wonderful for the visual learner that I am.

I would walk you through how I made mine, but why re-invent the wheel? Plus, I couldn’t do half as good of a job writing this tutorial as Allison.

Anyway, back to the story at hand. I was determined to make some burlap curtains for my Plain Jane front door. Well, some rain showers set in on Saturday and pretty much washed the day away and all of our plans for that day with it. But, I was not bummed in the least. I was able to focus and make my curtains.

I tell you, they were not hard, but they were a bit time consuming. There’s A LOT of ironing that goes into making curtains. Along with pinning, sewing, un-pinning, measuring, measuring, and more measuring.

So, it took about 3-4 hours from start to finish {if I hadn’t had interruptions}. When they were finished Dallas and I headed to Target to get a curtain rod, because these suckers were being hung.

I hung the rod {with a little help from my hubby} and hung the curtains to check on the length.

blog stuff 2012 022 

Doesn’t it look better already?

I finished the bottoms to with the length and then tied them back with ribbon. Now, in the Idea House, they used rope. Well, I didn’t have rope, and I wanted to make a statement that was me and not just copy everything. I’m a ribbon girl, especially a grosgrain ribbon girl. I pulled out some brown ribbon with white polka dots I had on hand and used that to tie them back.

I stood back and pretty much jumped up and down. I just love them.

blog stuff 2012 024

They really add something special to my front door.

Front door collage

So, what do you think???

1 comment:

  1. lOVE THEM. ALSO LOVE READING YOUR POSTS. YOU SHOULD RIGHT A BOOK.

    ReplyDelete