Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Tale of a Martini Bar… {that almost wasn’t}

There once was a martini bar that was sad. It needed a new home. Someone to take care of it, love it, and give it a fresh coat of paint.

This is the tale of a martini bar…{that almost wasn’t}.

Last fall sometime I bought a martini bar basically sight unseen. One Friday afternoon I was on Facebook and came across a consignment store in my hometown. They had posted a martini bar. It caught my eye immediately. I looked at the two pictures they had and knew I had to have that thing.

I’ve been looking for a piece to go in my dining room since I finished it a year and a half ago. When I saw the martini bar I knew it was it.

Being from a small town where everyone knows everyone, I called my mama and daddy and asked if they could go up and take a look at it. Seeing this store is their favorite in town, it didn’t take much begging on my part.

They went up the next day and purchased it for me.

April 2013 005-1

I loved the retro-ness of it. But bless it’s heart, it needed A.L.O.T. of lovin’.

The gold strip on the bottom was peeling off, the sides were a bit beaten up, and there was some water damage on top.

April 2013 006

But, you have to take a look at the inside of this baby.

April 2013 007-1How cool is this?? It’s very Mad Men. I just loved it.

When I picked it up from my parent’s in December, got it home, and put it in my dining room, I knew that this is where this baby belongs. And, with some TLC and some paint it would be perfect.

April 2013 001

Once the weather warmed up, it was time to start this fun project.

After much debate I decided to paint the bar a dark blue. I thought it would match with a dark blue that was in the material on the chair covers.

Off to Lowe’s I went. I talked to my favorite paint guy there and decided to try a new paint.

April 2013 012

My guy said this paint is made for painting furniture although he’s never known anyone to use it. Well, you would think that would be clue number 1 to run far away from this paint, but no not me. I found it a challenge. Let’s try this new paint and see what she has to offer.

I sanded and primed the martini bar once I got it outside and cleaned.

I then started painting. I wish I could say that I fell in love with this paint and would use it again…b.u.t. unfortunately I cannot say that.

The paint is very thick. It goes on well, but it’s quite thick. It reminds me of tempra paint teachers used to mix up and use when I was in elementary school.

There is really no odor which is good, but it still is very thick. Also, I had to use lots of coats {I believe 5} to get a consistent coverage. I’m not sure if that ‘s from the wood or from the paint being such a dark color.

But let’s move on…After days and days of painting and one coat of polyurithane, my martini bar was finished.

May 2013 008-1

When I started painting, I knew I wanted to keep the “coolness” and retro feeling, so I decided to paint the inside a lighter blue to match the colors of the walls.

After a week of painting and drying the bar was finished and back in the dining room.

I loved it!

I got all the drawers back in and closed the doors, stepped back and smiled.

I went to go open the doors to put things in…and they wouldn’t budge. I tried the drawers. Not budging.

Somehow, the paint even though it was very dry had the drawers and doors stuck closed.

NOOOOOOO!!!!

I tried everything that I could think of. I pulled, and pushed, and screamed, and fussed. Yes, I even cried. I got so angry at my pretty little martini bar I was about ready to throw it out the window. I was hot!

A friend of mine gave me the idea to use cooking spray like Pam. Never thought of that one. But it worked like a charm. I still check them every now and then. They don’t open and close smoothly but they’re not stuck anymore, so I’ll take it.

And, that’s the story of my martini bar…{that almost wasn’t}.

April 2013 005-2

May 2013 007-2

April 2013 007-2

May 2013 011-2

I have to say that even though this thing made me so mad I could’ve spit, I absolutely love it. It is now perfect in my dining room.

Anyone up for a drink?

May 2013 016-1

Thanks for stopping by. I hope this gives you a little incentive to find an old piece of furniture, and give it some love with a fresh coat of paint. You won’t be sorry!

S~

No comments:

Post a Comment