Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Beach, Putt-putt, and Mermaids!





The last couple of days have been so much fun with the kids, my hubby, and some sand between our toes.
Yesterday we set up camp on the beach in front of our house and settled in. I'm not sure if it's a compliment or if it's the fact that our kids just can't do anything without us, but they want to be with us ALL the time. They always seem to "need" us to play or do anything. I know I should feel flattered, and a lot of the times I do, but at times it gets a bit frustrating and we wish they'd spread their wings a little bit. So, Eric and I decided to take a seat and encourage (or force) them to play with each other in the sand and water. Dallas took off towards the ocean and started jumping in the waves, but she was quick to come back up "needing" someone to go down with her. Hunter was perched on his daddy's lap and he was not moving. I went to play a little with her and then went back for a rest.

After A LOT of coaxing and encouraging, and pretty much refusing to go back with them, Hunter got bored and went to meet his sister. Halleluiah....they were playing together and not needing us. We were elated and quickly grabbed the camera. They were having a ball; jumping and riding the waves, and even running from the waves. They were cackling with laughter and we were sitting, relaxing...for once!


We went back to the house for lunch and Dallas was pretty much done with the beach. She was exhausted and decided she wanted to watch TV and not go back to the water. Fine with me, I curled up with my book and laid on the deck reading while she curled up in her daddy's lap and took a nap....that NEVER happens. Eric and Hunter then wanted to go back to the ocean, so Dallas and I stayed behind and took showers and I started dinner.
After an early dinner, we took the kids to play putt-putt. The air was hazy, hot, and stagnent, but by granny we were going to play some putt-putt. Hunter even had to wear his "putt-putt" shirt.

Dallas aiming for a good shot.
Hunter taking a stop to pose with Mommy.

Mommy showing them how it's done.
Hunter was a bit confused when his ball went down the shoot on hole 18.

Let's just say Mommy was on fire. I got the only hole in one, and out of 18 holes shot a 39...yep I'm bragging a little because I won...that just.doesn't.happen. Ok, so the course was pretty easy, but hey I still won and I will take a win anyway I can get it.

We finished up the game and then went for ice cream at a local homemade ice cream joint that was right across the street. I love ice cream, but having acid reflux hinders me from eating it that much, but last night I didn't care, I got a cone with my favorite...strawberry! It was so delicious.


What a fun day!!!
Today we decided to break the week up and head down to Myrtle Beach and go to Broadway on the Beach. Thanks to our good friends, Amy and Alan who gave us so many things to do, see, and places to eat, sent us there for some "good family fun". What a great place. It's like a huge boardwalk with games, shops, and restaurants. Only problem...it was H.O.T. When I say hot, I mean Florida hot...hot, humid, and very sticky. Thank goodness I decided to wear a visor today b/c there would be no good hairday out there today.
We ate lunch at Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville, and it was delicious!


We let the kids ride some rides, and I must admit that walking around out there brought back so many memories of the traveling fair that would come to my home town every year. The smell of the funnel cakes and the screeching sounds of the brakes on the rides, just took me right back to being a kid...love those memories.

Beep-Beep
A little boat ride

Daddy and Hunter on the carousel ride

The kids loved the upside-down house

Love the tea cups
We all got really hot and decided to visit the Ripley's Aquarium. We were told it was worth the money and boy was it ever. We were there for over two hours. They have a brand new shark exhibit which is very hands-on for the kids. Hunter was in awe...he's our shark lover (just like his daddy).


Watching the diver
We saw a scuba diver feed some fish, and walked around looking at all the fish and sharks.
Our beautiful pearl
But the highlight of the trip...mermaids. Dallas got to meet a "real" mermaid (no, we didn't buy the picture for $15.00 - I know, terrible mommy and daddy). Then we got to watch two mermaids swim in the sting ray tank. It was really cool and both kids were in awe! I have to admit that since Eric and I just saw the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie, I look at mermaids in a whole new light...to say the least.

Mermaids putting on a performance.
The trip back to the beach house went well. We thought the kids would pass out, but after making the mistake of buying them "Roo Juice" - which I found out later that it contains 0% juice...oops - the kids just got really giddy and were acting insane in the backseat. Then I had to be the crazy person keeping them awake as we got closer to "home".

Beware of Roo Juice...it makes your kids crazy!
I love vacation. It's a time to relax and enjoy family, and the cackling of kids makes the memories burn into my brain...and mermaids, no one can have a good vacation without mermaids.

1 comment:

  1. Aww!,yall look like ur having a great time! I'm so very jealous!

    ReplyDelete