Thursday, June 30, 2011

A Great Summer Supper

Last night was one of those nights where I had in my head the menu for supper, but things quickly changed along with the menu. I had this grand plan to make stuffed shells, salad, and bread. It's a crowd pleaser around this house, and all I wanted was a peaceful dinner.
Well, we didn't have anything mentioned above, we had a totally summer supper including fresh veggies...yum!
I scored some fresh vegetables when picking Hunter up at his friend, William's house. Sue (William's mom) is a friend of mine from preschool. She is so wonderful and creative. I'm always impressed by the things she does. So, when she said, "hey come look at our little garden we planted", I didn't know what to expect, but I knew it would be good. Let me just tell you, she had the biggest vegetable plants I have ever seen. She proceeded to load me up with green tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, and zucchini, the biggest zucchini in the world. I wish I had taken a picture of it, but didn't.
So, when I realized I didn't have the noodles for stuffed shells, I quickly changed the menu plan for dinner. I'm one of these people who like to "make up" recipes as I go along, and sometimes I'll look at a recipe and find ways to change it. It's like my little science experiment.
I made a huge mess in the kitchen, but that's the fun of cooking, right. And, I didn't take all the pictures that I wanted because I was in a hurry to get it on the table for two hungry kids and a very hungry husband. But, here's the menu:

Lime Tortilla Crusted Chicken Strips
Lemon Orzo Primavera
Fried Green Tomatoes
Corn

It was so good and very summery. Here's a quick look at the recipes for the chicken...the orzo recipe is under recipes...they are so good!

Lime Tortilla Crusted Chicken Strips
1 lb chicken breast tenderloins
2 cups crushed Lime tortilla chips
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp lime pepper
1 egg + water
1/2 cup milk
olive oil

Set out four separate plates like an assembly line. In the first, place in the milk. In the second plate, put in the flour and carefully mix in the lime pepper. Lightly beat the egg and water and place it in the third plate. On the third plate, place in the crushed tortilla chips.
In a skillet (I prefer an iron skillet), heat olive oil on medium to medium-high heat. Now for the dredging. Take the chicken, one tenderloin at a time, and start dipping and covering in plates 1-4. Place in the hot oil and cook until brown on both sides and done in the middle (usually about 4 minutes on both sides).

No comments:

Post a Comment