Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Lane: A Christmas Tradition

The other day I had a thought:

As a child, growing up on Christmas Lane was normal.

As an adult looking back, it was a privilege.

Today, seeing the magic of Christmas {on Christmas Lane} through the eyes of my own children, it is PRICELESS.

You see, I’m one of many who can call Christmas Lane “home”.

One year ages ago, one man, with a larger than life kind of spirit, got together with a couple of neighbors in a small mill village and decided it was time to shake things up for Christmas.

And that year, Christmas Lane was born.

I’m very blessed to say that man, the creator, was my grand-daddy. He along, with three of his close friends and neighbors wanted to bring a special Christmas tradition to this small town in which they call, home.

It started out small…a few decorations, some lights, and a couple of displays.

phone pics 2012 055-1

What started with a little house and some elves grew to what we all know today as Candy Land.

December 2012 042-1

But over the years it has grown to so much more. It’s grown to be a tradition for not only the families that live on the street, but to the locals who come every year to walk or ride down this lighted street. It’s even become a tradition to people who travel from far and wide to see this magical place.

I grew up at the “bottom of the hill”. I can remember standing outside and listening to all the sounds…the Christmas music playing, the displays with some of their certain sounds, and people meandering up and down the sidewalk oohing and aahing over their favorite displays.

My grand-daddy lived at the top of the hill and lived at the most popular house…Candy Land. In his yard, there stood a 27 foot tall castle, candy trees, and wooden elves…

December 2012 051-1

and of course: Santa himself.

December 2012 045-1

This Santa is full of hopes and dreams, and has been in our family for many, many years.

He has a story in itself, but I’ll leave that for my daddy to tell {he’s a much better story teller than me}.

None-the-less he is a part of our family. As a child, I remember playing princess in the castle in my grand-daddy’s front yard, and looking up at the oh so tall Santa, seeing the gleam in his eyes, and believing in the magic he brings.

Today, my parents live in this house, and I see that awe and excitement in my children’s eyes as they look up at this man who brings so much magic to all of us young and old.

Christmas Lane has lasted through the years, the wind storms, the rain, the neighbors who have come and gone, and even the original angels who now look down on this special place.

There are many displays on the street that are originals and have lasted all these years.

December 2012 055-1

{This is Santa’s Round-up. This was the display that sat in my yard growing up. I always loved helping Mama and Daddy get it ready for Light-up. Today it sits up the street, and looks a little different from what I remember, but it’s an original, and one of my favorites.}

Other originals include:

December 2012 057-1

Bugs Bunny and all his friends

December 2012 064-1

Snoopy and Charlie Brown

December 2012 065-1December 2012 067-1

Alvin and the Chipmunks and Winnie the Pooh and Friends

December 2012 069-1

And The Littlest Angel

There have been many displays that have come and gone and so many that have meaning to each family who lives in the homes.

There’s Barbie and Ken and even Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs {sorry no pictures of these}.

There’s always the beautiful Manger Scene…

December 2012 059-1

…which brings us the true meaning of Christmas.

And even Justin Bieber adorns the street wishing everyone a Merry Christmas.

December 2012 061-1

Today I live over 500 miles from my parents and don’t get down every Christmas. It breaks my heart I don’t get to see it in person every year, but the tradition and the excitement lives inside me and has a very special place in my heart.

I was able to take my kids there this year for very quick trip. Some people thought I was a bit crazy to drive 8 hours {one way} to go down, but it was worth every second of the drive. To see the magic and excitement in their eyes brought me back to my childhood and made me really appreciate what Christmas is all about…family, traditions, believing in magic, and lots and lots of love.

collage-1

December 2012 072-1

We all have our Christmas traditions whether it’s where we live or who we see and celebrate this special time. I am very blessed to say I grew up in a small town on a street with a wonderful Christmas tradition.

I am so thankful I got to visit it with my own children this year and see the magic in their eyes that I remember as a child.

Whatever your Christmas tradition is or one’s you might be making this year, I wish you all a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Always believe in the magic of Christmas!

December 2012 074-1

From “The Wilson Clan”

No comments:

Post a Comment