Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Ribbon and Bow Flip Flops

I've been feeling a little crafty lately but haven't known what to do. I was just visiting my best friend last week and couldn't help but notice the adorable ribbon/bow flip flops her daughter had...mostly because my daughter wore them the whole week. I started looking at them one night and thought, I can make these. On Sunday after returning home, my daughter and I went out on the hunt for the materials. I found a pair of white and black flip flops and JoAnn's in her size. They were $2.99 each. We then found another craft store that sold ribbon by the yard and picked out lots and lots of ribbon. I got 6 patterns of ribbon (3 of the medium width and 3 of the small width)  for each pair of flops. I also got a pair of corrdinating buttons for each pair.

I decided to do the black ones first as my "trial" pair.

I got out my trusty hot glue gun and warmed it up. For these small shoes it took a whole roll of the small black and white gingham ribbon to wrap the straps. I put a tiny dot of hot glue on the underside of one strap and started wrapping. I held it tight as I went and wrapped and wrapped until I got to the other side and glued the other side down as well.

Then I just started cutting the ribbon, placing them in X's on top of each other (sorry I forgot to take a picture her...got too wrapped up in the project). I would glue (with a teeny tiny dot of glue) so they would stay. I took the white and black small ribbon, tied them in a bow together, and put it on top. Last, I sewed a button on top of it all and glued it on top of the thong of the flops...Waa-La, a pair of cute flip flops! She LOVES them!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment