Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Soul Sisters

You know how you have that friend that comes along once in a lifetime and there is a bond that is formed between the two of you forever? Sometimes that is a childhood friend and sometimes they enter your life later. I am a very blessed girl to say that I have lots of friends. I have childhood friends, friends from college, and what I like to call my "Mommy" friends. They are all special to me in each and every way, and I am so lucky to have them in my life, but I have to say I have that one friend who I like to call my "soul sister". We also have those funny little phrases that we call each other such as bff, best friend, and bestie, but my Mama coined the phrase "kindred spirits" and that fits us perfectly.
After graduating from college, I got married (to my wonderful husband) and moved to Florida...well, it was kind of the other way around, but who's counting. I'll leave all the long, drawn-out details out and just give the highlights. I taught 4th grade reading and writing in the little town of Plant City, Florida. I taught for a wonderful woman whom to this day and always will be my "Florida Mom". She took me, a fresh young married girl who had never lived this far away from her Mama and Daddy, under her wing and guided me through that first year in a new state, new career, and new life. I will always be so grateful for her and treasure her. But, she's a whole other story for another day.
My first year teaching was great. I had two wonderful mentors and a really good school. My first year of marriage was fantastic as well. I was pretty settled in my new state and new life but something was missing....a friend. I really didn't make any friends that first year and was missing that bond that a girlfriend can give you. Well, my principal was going to open a new school down south of town and I asked if I could go with her. She had a spot for me and off we went to go open a new school...scary but fun. On our first day of pre-planning I was sitting in the back of the media center minding my own business. We started going around the room introducing ourselves, where we came from, etc. All of a sudden I hear this voice...a voice that sounded like me - a southern twang that I longed for. My ears perked up and I started looking around the room. Who was that person that talked like me because I want to know her. We met officially at lunch that day and as they say with any great relationship, the rest is history.
We became instant friends. We were both in the same boat...new state, new career, new marriage, new life, no family close by. From that day on, a bond was formed between us that no mileage or anything can break us...she is my soul sister. I tease with my husband all the time and say that he is my other half. He completes me and we make and awesome team, but I must say that Liz is my "better" half. She makes me a better person.
We have been pregnant together for our two children. She has recently had a third...beautiful baby boy. She's still trying to get me to get on board, but I told her that contract was broken after the second one.

 
Our first born are 7 days apart!
We now live about 500 miles away from each other, but that doesn't break our bond. We talk on the phone at least two time a day and see each other between 2 and 3 times a year. The kids and I recently went to see her and as usual we had a fantastic time. Our older kids are first friends and they all play so nicely together.

friends forever
We'll go back and see them for Labor day and one of these days have a girls weekend with just us and no kids to tend to. But no matter if kids are there or not, spending time with her is the best time ever. I love her like a sister and I know for certain that just like God sent me my wonderful husband, He sent Liz to me in a time of my life that I needed a friend...a girlfriend...a bestie!

This is the last great picture of us!



No comments:

Post a Comment