Saturday, September 8, 2012

Comfort Food

For some reason, yesterday I was in need of some serious comfort food. You know that kind of food that your Mama always made you when you were sad or sick and somehow it just made things better. My Mama still makes comfort food for me. Not because I’m sick or sad, mostly because I actually come home for a visit and just need some Mama cooking. So, I’ve got a long list of what I consider comfort food.

Yesterday I was in the mood for some comfort food….just needed some to food to soothe my soul.

I even decided I was in need of a dessert. I try not to bake or make desserts around here very often. I love baking, but the problem is I’m the one who ends up eating all of it…not good – not good at all.

Hunter loves to help me bake in the kitchen. I think he just likes to help me so he can lick the batter off the mixer paddle. I’m not asking questions because I love that he helps me.

Hunter cooking

We made a Coca-Cola Cake. I don’t think I’ve had one in years. It was just as good as I remember. I actually like it warm, but it’s good either way.

Blog stuff 2012 008

Doesn’t it just look yummy? If you want to try it yourself {which I think you should} you can get the recipe HERE.

While the cake was helping with my need of some “comfort food”, I was still in need of something hearty. Something good and yummy for supper.

Nothing says comfort food in the winter to me as Chicken n’ dumplings and chicken pot pie. Both sounded really good to me yesterday, but I didn’t have the time to make them. I happened to be thumbing through the new Kraft Foods Magazine and came across a recipe for Skillet Chicken and Dumplings.

Well, as usual I made the recipe my own. It was pretty simple and very yummy.

Blog stuff 2012 007

Yup, it was all made in the skillet!

Blog stuff 2012 010

So, the next time you’re in need of some comfort food and don’t have a ton of time to stand over the stove, make dough, chop veggies, all that fun stuff. You should try this recipe. You can find it HERE.

I have to say both of them really helped last night in my need for comfort food. They may not have been my Mama’s cookin’ but they were good and hit the spot!

What are some of your favorite comfort foods???

1 comment:

  1. Grilled cheese and tomato soup which I had today! And any kind of pumpkin, fall spiced bread!! So cozy! (But I must say, I am also a huge fan of Coca Cola Cake myself!!)

    ReplyDelete