Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I Remember…

I remember the day. I was sitting in a 5th grade classroom completing my observation hours. My advisor walked in. She leaned over to me and said, “You may go home, the University is closed.” Confused, I asked why. She began to explain, but I swear to you her lips were moving, but no sound was coming out of her mouth…I was in complete shock.

I remember racing home trying to get in touch with my parents, and with Eric. We were dating at the time, and he was on a business trip  to Kansas City, MO.

I remember being scared.

I remember sitting on the floor of our apartment with my roommates watching the coverage.

I remember thinking of Eric’s family up north and being scared for them.

I remember the faces on TV, covered in ashes and soot. The heroes of the firefighters and police men of NYC. The courageous people of New York who fought to help one another.

I remember the flag being put in the rubble of what once was The World Trade Center.

I remember when for a moment, the world stopped.

I remember that after that moment, we as a nation joined as one. It didn’t matter what nationality or religion you were. It didn’t matter if you were a Republican or a Democrat, a Conservative or a Liberal. It didn’t matter what economic class you were in. For a moment, We the People joined as one. We held hands, we united, and we were determined to kick the enemies butt.

That moment ceased and just like that 11 years have gone by. But, I tell you, I still remember. I remember all those emotions that I felt and we as a nation felt. I remember how after that day, our country as we knew it changed. I remember.

And since that moment 11 years ago, we have fought against evil. Our brave and strong men and women of our military have fought long and hard to keep our nation safe, so we don’t have to fight a war on our ground. They put their lives on the line everyday to keep us safe, just as those heroes on 9/11 fought to help others to keep them safe.

To all those families who lost loved ones, and who’s whole world stopped on that moment and may or may not have completely started back, I will always remember the sacrifice you and your loved one made.

To all those heroes in New York, you are true super heroes. You are our Supermen {and women}. I will always remember seeing how hard you worked day in and day out and I thank you.

To all our military, I will always remember the countless hours, days, nights, months, and years that you have fought since to keep us safe on our soil. And I thank you.

It’s been 11 years. So many things in my life have changed, but that is one moment I will always remember…

and I will NEVER FORGET!!!

1 comment: