Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year’s and all that goes with it…

Happy New Year my friends! I hope this morning finds you with lots of happiness, love, and not bad hangovers.

I will say there was a time there {about 8 years ago}, partying it up on New Year’s Eve in Baltimore with Eric and his college friends was one thing I looked forward to every year.

Not to say that I was always the drunkest one there, but I did partake in a few drinks and loved people watching on the Inner Harbor. Great times!

Now-a-days life on New Year’s Eve is much different. Usually I’m asleep even  before the ball drops at midnight. I try my hardest to stay awake but just can’t do it…man at 32 I sometimes feel real “old”.

But, I will admit that my favorite New Year’s Eves are now spent at home with my favorite peeps. We usually put the kids to bed early and have a “date night” at home. We’ll talk for hours and hours and enjoy each other’s company. We re-connect a little and I just love this time with my hubs.

Last night was no other…kids were in bed by 7:00 and I was making us a nice dinner. We ate and talked and just enjoyed each other. Before we knew it, I was in my chair on the computer and Eric was asleep on the couch…typical night in the Lentz household.

We were in bed by 11 and as hard as I tried to stay awake I just couldn’t…so another year went by and I didn’t see the ball in NYC or the acorn here in Raleigh drop…oh well, maybe next year.

Be that as it may, we did have a busy but good New Year’s Eve. Seeing that it was a gorgeous 63 degrees outside, Eric worked in the yard, and I took down Christmas. It’s all boxed up and ready to put away until next year.

I was finishing up and the kids run inside asking if we had marshmallows. Daddy had pulled out the old fire pit and was commencing to building a fire...what man doesn’t love a fire.

December 2011 014

We only had mini marshmallows, but they worked. The kids roasted marshmallows in the fire, and ate a half a bag…needless to say marshmallows ended up being their dinner.

December 2011 007December 2011 021December 2011 009December 2011 015December 2011 016December 2011 018December 2011 019

It was so much fun! A great way to end a New Year’s Eve.

As I reflect back on 2011, there are so many things for which I am thankful.

For starters, I started this blog to capture memories we make with our children, and to express my “creative” side through craft projects and yummy recipes.

Lots of bloggers out there are “looking back” at top 5 and 10 posts, project, and parties that they did this past year.

I've decided to reflect on my favorite top 10 “moments”, if you will.

10.  It all started with a shower curtain

This makes me laugh every time I think about it…typical Shana style. Not meaning for a big project and something as small as a shower curtain can turn into a major project – all while my husband is traveling…welcome home, Honey.

9. New Milestone

Thanks to my good friend and running buddy, Jaleh, I actually finished a 5 mile race. I’m your typical 5ker…meaning I’m good for about 3 miles. But I overcame my fear and the humidity and I passed the finish line in record time {for me}.

8.The Big Reveal

I worked long and hard for a couple of months on my dining room and I finally finished it. I loved how it turned out and still love it.

7.Chiggers

Yes, this one’s pretty gross, but I can’t help but crack up every time I think of this. The looks on my family’s faces when they saw me eaten alive by these critters. Yes, they itched to high-heaven but leave it to me to get them on my butt!

6. In the blink of an eye

This was the year I thought would take so long to get here and then it was here “in the blink of an eye”. Our little girl started kindergarten. She has a wonderful teacher and is loving school…and that’s all we’ve wanted for her.

5. Mommy's kitchen helpers

I love cooking and especially love cooking with my kids. It makes me so happy to have them in the kitchen with me making a big ole mess but making so many wonderful memories.

4. Homecoming'

I loved going “home” with the kids this spring to the annual Smoke on the Water BBQ fest. I ran the first annual 5k and made my best personal time. But my favorite thing of the weekend was watching my big brother and his wife on stage performing and my kids dancing and watching “in awe”.

3. Visiting my bestie and her family

I love visits with my bestie, Liz, and her family. Whether they come here are we go there, I cherish every moment with her. I miss being close to her terribly and wish I could see her every day…

2. Becoming a Godmother

I am so honored to not only be an aunt to one very special and adorable little man, but I am now a Godmother, and that is an honor I will cherish forever.

1. Beach time with my family

We love the beach and playing with my kids at the beach is so much fun! This year was an awesome trip to Oak Island, NC and I loved making memories with them! It was a time that will live in my brain always!

Happy New Year friends. I hope this year finds you health, happiness, and lots of love and laughter. Thank you for reading and following my new “hobby”. I hope you will continue to follow me. Thanks so much! Much love and hugs to all y’all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment