Thursday, January 5, 2012

Random Thoughts of a Thursday…

I don’t know if y’all have one of “those” days of the week at your house, but we sure do. Do you know what I’m talking about??? “Those” days are the days when no matter what everyone wakes up on the wrong side of the bed and is grumpy from the time their feet hit the floor.

Our day is Thursday. Never fails. We could be having the best week and Thursday comes along, and everyone is in a rotten mood. Well, today was none other. I was thinking {well, secretly hoping} that since this week is a short week, and today really felt like Wednesday when I woke up, that we could sneak by having everyone’s internal clock think it’s really Wednesday…Uh, nope! Silly me. What was I thinking.

I woke in a good mood don’t get me wrong, and then my bears children awoke.

First it was Dallas. She was still half asleep and crawled in my lap while I was doing a little computer stuff…{what, that’s my quiet time in the morning}. She saw a ribbon her PE teacher gave her for doing good work. She asked where her others were. I responded, “I don’t know I found that one in your backpack.” She immediately lit into me full force with a wail and cry mixture accusing me that I knew where they were and I threw them away. Good morning, Sunshine!

I actually tried to talk to her about this {again, silly me}, and she kept on. So I scooped her up and put her on her chair in the living room and walked away. It was all I could do. She was not listening to me. She had something in her head and there was no reasoning with her…imagine that, a stubborn child in my house.

I then started up the stairs to take a shower and found Hunter in his room putting his pirate gear on as he had just woken up. Yes, pirate gear comes on first thing in the morning and rarely leaves his back, belly, and head all day. So anyway, I walk with him downstairs to get him breakfast and he immediately breaks into a rant about how he didn’t want to watch Little Bear he wanted to watch Captain Jack Sparrow…really, it’s 7:30 in the AM people! {I think he’s obsessed.} So I only did what any good mother would do at this point, I put his movie on upstairs in the bonus room with all his pirate garb around him and his Pop tart.

I hit the showers!

After a little quiet time for us all it was time to get dressed for the day. Dallas is good about it and pretty much does everything herself. Hunter…different story. He started fussing once again, because he doesn’t like wearing jeans…he doesn’t like how they itch him. {At least we now have shoes that are “perfect for him” so that’s not an issue…usually.} But then I was really a mean mommy and said he needed to wear his vest and look nice because we were going to breakfast with some friends. He lost it. He cried, and pouted, and cried some more. I stuck to my guns {no pun intended} and he looked very handsome this morning. I know not to pick battles, but let me just tell you in case you don’t see us around town here in Raleigh much, 90% of the time is in full pirate get-up from his rain boots he says are Captain Jack Sparrow boots to his Captain Jack hat on his head. He’s always got at least one sword in is belt and his Captain Jack Sparrow action figure gripped tightly in his hand…did I say he was obsessed? So yes, I did fight that battle today and I won. He was very handsome and after about 30 minutes he was over his fit and enjoyed his bagel with cream cheese.

I guess sometimes we all just need a little quiet time from a long night’s sleep to really get us going in the morning. The rest of the day was great, and I think we all forgot it was Thursday and treated it like it was Wednesday. Thank goodness.

And another thing…I think I could go the rest of my life without ever hearing the word “why”. I think it’s one of those words we should all erase from our vocabulary. I know kids ask “why” because they are curious and they want to learn, but I swear sometimes I think they just like to hear themselves talk…or maybe they like to see how many ways I can answer the same question on one particular topic. For example, the other day it was finally freezing here and really felt like winter. Here’s the conversation and ensued:

Me: “Y’all, get your coats and hats it’s time to go.”

Dallas: “Why do we need our coats and hats?”

Hunter: “I don’t like my coat and hat!”

Me: “Because it’s freezing outside.”

D: “Why is it freezing?”

Me: “Because it’s winter and it’s cold outside.”

D: “Why?”

Me: “It’s winter and freezing and I don’t want you to get cold or sick.”

D: “Why is it freezing and you don’t want me to get sick.”

Me: “Seriously? I just answered that about 5 times. Now please get your coat and hat, we’re going to be late.”

D: “Okay.”

H: “I. DON’T. LIKE. MY. COAT. AND. HAT!!!”

Me: “Thank you!”

See what I mean??? And this goes on all day. If I say anything about anything there is always a series of “why” questions that follow. Seriously? I get so tired of answering “why” questions I think my brain hurts.

Do y’all suffer from any of this?

So my last random thought of a Thursday is this…why do us girls go through so much trouble to try and look trendy?

Have you ever seen the movie Dazed and Confused? First of all if you haven’t, what rock have you been living under…one great movie. Secondly, if you have do you remember the scene where the girl is laying on the bed and her jeans are so tight that her friend has to use pliers to zip up her pants!

So, picture this…

This morning I’m getting dressed in my cute little “skinny” jeans and putting my boots over them and I break out in a sweat! Heaven for Betsy, what is wrong with this picture? But I guess when you have a figure like me and well endowed in the back end…thanks Mama; love ya…we have to deal with these issues. But let me just say that it is not fair that men can go decades without their fashion trends ever changing but ours change with the tides. This year is skinny jeans and boots and next year it’ll be moo-moos…oh Lord, please no, they do nothing for my figure.

Ok, that’s it for today. Just a few random thoughts of a Thursday. I’m off to try and figure out this sewing/craft project I wasted two hours of my precious day today. I’ll share later.

Y’all sleep tight! Happy almost Friday to ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment