Monday, November 12, 2012

Let’s Talk Cake…

Well, if you don’t know I am in full birthday party mode. So what does that mean?

Let’s see: a theme has been picked, invitations have been ordered, countless hours of Pinteresting and blog searching have been done, the sleepless nights have begun, and now it’s time to put this party into motion.

My son turns 5 in less than 3 weeks. Aaahhh! Let’s not harp on the fact that my baby will be 5 because I’m sure I will just start bawling at the thought. I just can’t believe it.

So, I do what I do best, I burry myself in party details.  We know that it’s ALL about the details, and I am a sucker for them.

After a theme is picked and invitations are ordered, the next thing that must be done is order a cake…or at least decide what kind of cake you will have.

So today I want to take a look down memory lane or the evolution of the Lentz household birthday cakes.

We have come a long way from Dallas’ first birthday cake. Let’s take a look, shall we?

232323232-fp385-nu=3266-9;7--;9-WSNRCG=323564334-467nu0mrj

Cute right?

This cake was just a “store bought” cake from Publix {oh how I miss Publix}. It fit her theme of butterflies and flowers. And we even got a smash cake to match.

232323232-fp387-nu=3266-9;7--;9-WSNRCG=323564334-468nu0mrj

For her second birthday, I had a newborn and was a little sleep deprived. I made her cake this year.

232323232-fp5326;-nu=3266-9;7--;9-WSNRCG=32376--378765nu0mrj

I know, not that great, but remember I was sleep deprived and had a newborn.

We did have a few of her friends over for a birthday playdate, but I just served store bought mini cupcakes.

232323232-fp53263-nu=3266-9;7--;9-WSNRCG=32376--3787-6nu0mrj

That year came to an end and Hunter turned 1. We had a monkey themed party and once again I had a store bought cake {this time from Target}.

December 2008-Hunter's 1st birthday 019

For Dallas’ 3rd birthday we had an ice cream party for her. We had to have some sort of cake for her candles, so I made cupcakes with pink and purple polka dots.

January 2009 018

Hunter turned 2 and we settled on a football theme. I found a football shaped cake pan and thought…how hard could this be?

December 2009 032

Not the prettiest, but it served the purpose.

After this party, things forever changed. I found a cake person. We worked together on the neighborhood’s moms group. When she said she made cakes, I thought, “Well, I’ll give her a try.”

I asked her to make Dallas’ cake for her 4th birthday…a Candy Shop Party.

Let me tell you that she set the bar high when she made this cake!

January 2010 098

I mean how gawgeous is that?

The lollipops and gumballs at the bottom of the layers were bought, but everything else was made.

And let me tell you that not only are her cakes beautiful, they are just as yummy to eat. She makes the best homemade filling from banana butter cream to Butterfinger – those are our family’s favorites.

So like I said the bar was set high, and then Hunter turned 3. He was really into pirates and that is the party we had.

I turned to my cake friend, and she did not let me down.

download (2)

I mean, look at that thing. It seriously brought tears to my eyes when I saw it for the first time. It took two of us to carry it.

We had a scavenger hunt with the kids to find it. When they did, they thought it was a real treasure chest and tried to “open” it to get the goodies out.

I seriously did not want to cut this cake…it was just too gorgeous.

For Dallas’ 5th birthday she wanted a Fancy Nancy Party. Tara made a fancy cake for an extra fancy girl.

January 2011 037

Baseball was the theme for Hunter’s 4th birthday and the cake was another homerun!

December 2011 031

When Dallas turned 6, we decided to take her to NYC to the American Girl Store. We didn’t have a big ‘to-do” party so I didn’t get a big birthday cake. I made her strawberry cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.

January 2012 027

They definitely don’t hold a candle to Tara’s spectacular {that’s a fancy word for awesome} cakes, but I was kinda proud of my cake toppers I made.

So we come to a close of our walk down memory lane of birthday cakes.

As Hunter turns 5 soon, I turn back to the cake expert. I am so excited and cannot wait to see what she comes up with for our Super hero birthday party for my little Super hero!

**Tara from Babyshine is the creator of these marvelous cakes. SOURCE

No comments:

Post a Comment