Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Outcome

The phones have stopped ringing and the political commercials have ceased.

The election has come and gone, and once again America has spoken.

Do I like the outcome?

Not so much.

In fact, this morning I felt defeated. I felt like I was beaten down. I felt sick to my stomach. Now, I will admit that part of that is probably due to the fact that I H.A.T.E to lose. I’m not good at losing and it never feels good.

I moped around the house, got extra coffee to help perk me up.

I wondered…Why? How?

I prayed…Why? How?

I thought…It’s just not fair!

Then it hit me…we don’t know the answers. Only God knows the answers. He always tells us that we may not like the outcome of something. But we are not supposed to question Him. There is a reason for everything.

I also remembered lessons my parents taught me when I was growing up. Life isn’t always fair. But we gotta suck it up and keep moving on. So, I did what my mama always taught me, I put my big girl panties on, lifted my head, put a smile on my face, sucked in my belly {ok, that’s just to make me look thinner}, and faced the facts.

I have a good life, great friends, and a wonderful family. I live in a wonderful country. And I am proud to be an American.

So, no I may not have liked the outcome, but I have accepted it. I think it is important for us as Americans to realize that we may not like the outcome of elections, but the fact is we all have a choice and a voice.

That’s what so great about being an American. WE are still the land of the free and the home of the brave.

One of my favorite verses in the Bible is Romans 8:28. It states: “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”

I think this speaks a lot to us. We have all been called according to His purpose because God works in us and for us who love Him.

My purpose, my thoughts, and my beliefs may be different that yours. And that’s ok. In fact, I have friends, the very best of friends, who are democrats. I am a republican. Our political beliefs may be different, but the fact is, we respect each other’s differences and we love each other for who we are and our similarities.

We all have been called according to God’s purpose and to vote the best way we see fit and then accept the results and not question. There is always a purpose and a reason.

The passage goes on to say in Romans 8:31-35

“What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare is own Son, but gave him up for us all-how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died – more than that, who raised to life – is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?

Romans 8:37-39

“No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

You see, God loved us so much that he gave his Son for us. So who am I to question why an election did not turn out the way I wanted it to?

Without God we have nothing. So, instead of griping and complaining {like I sometimes want to do} I will pray for our President and all the people who were elected last night.

I will pray that they will see they have a purpose to fill. I will pray that they make decisions for our country that will help us grow and prosper like our Founding Fathers fought for so many years ago.

And I will be proud. I will be proud of my country.

I love that people stand up for what they believe…even though sometimes it drives me batty. I love that we can teach our children that they too will have a voice one day and will have the right to vote.

My only hope is that we all see we have a purpose according to God’s will. It’s not about scare tactics or name calling, or belligerent acts. It’s about coming together as a nation under God, voting for what we believe in, accepting the outcome, and having faith, hope, and love for one another and our country.

1 comment:

  1. Well said, Shana! My cousin's new wife (who is a DIE HARD democrat so we couldn't disagree MORE politically) put a post on facebook today that I really liked... She said "No matter WHO had won the election, one man alone is not gonna save this country. So let's stop complaining and start praying for guidance for our leaders, no matter what we think of them personally. Obama is only the president, not the SAVIOR! I'm for TEAM JESUS!" I have a new respect for her after reading that... So thank you for sharing what you did. I really needed that today! And maybe someone who is a democrat reading your blog post will understand that Christians are not upset because "our man didn't win". I have read so many fb posts saying that today and although they made me upset, and I wanted to retaliate and say exactly what I thought about their posts, I just quietly scrolled on to the next post, trying to set a better example. It is not our place to question why God allowed the election to turn out the way it did, even though our earthly minds cannot fathom a reason plausible enough to warrant it. Thanks for that reminder!

    ReplyDelete