Monday, February 11, 2013

50’s Hip Hoppin’ Sock Hop & Ice Cream Parlor

Let’s get this party started shall we? I’ve been so excited to share Dallas’ birthday party with y’all. She turned 7 on January 28 and last Saturday we had her birthday party.
Now, I have to tell you that I REALLY stepped out of my box with this party. Up until this year we had all the kids’ parties at the house. If you know me at all you know that I L.O.V.E. a party. Love the food, love the decorations, love hosting people…just love them. This year, we decided to change it up a bit for Dallas’ party. Yes, I may have breathed into a paper bag for a minute when we made this decision, but I am thrilled we did.
Dallas wanted to have her party at Dance Dynamics, the dance studio in which she takes dance. So, that’s what we did.
Can I just tell you that it turned out to be one of her best birthday parties yet. It was fairly easy on me {being it was fairly stress-free. Is that even possible?}, and the girls had a ball.
We showed up 30 minutes before the party and the place was decorated, the tables were set up for the craft {which they did}, and the place was ready to go for a hip hoppin’ sock hop & ice cream parlor.
One of the things that I loved about having the party there was they decorated with our colors and to our theme, but they also let me put my decorating sense in there as well.
I got to make my banners that I love to make and any thing else I wanted to do.
Dallas decided that she wanted lavender and turquoise to be her colors, so that’s what we did.
Like I said I made the “Happy Birthday” banner that I always do.
February 2013 001-1
It turned out super cute! I was able to find a few things on the Silhouette website to use on my machine that went with our theme.
February 2013 002-1February 2013 003-1
How cute are those???
I also got this adorable “Betty” for the party. I mean you can’t have a sock hop without a Betty, right??
January 2013 066-1
We had a couple of food tables. One was for light snacks: cheese and crackers, fruit skewers, and popcorn.
January 2013 017
January 2013 018
I found this scrapbook paper with music notes on it and thought it was perfect for the popcorn holders.
We also had the dessert table. It held the cupcakes:
January 2013 011
Are you asking yourself, “What in the world kind of cupcakes are these?”
Well, the ones on the right are a lemon cupcake and the ones on the left are root beer float cupcakes. Gotta have root beer floats at an ice cream parlor. They taste just like root beer with vanilla ice cream on top.
My cake girl did it again!
She even made the cute wrappers that had records on them…too cute!
Also on the dessert table were all the fixins’ for ice cream sundaes.
January 2013 016
Oh, and check out these adorable plates I found. Perfect for the party!
January 2013 012
As the girls arrived they put on a poodle skirt {we’ll get back to those later}, and headed in the party room to make a quick craft.
January 2013 020-1
The instructor then led them to the dance room and they danced. They warmed up, did some sassy walking, and made up a routine.
January 2013 025-1
January 2013 038-1
Then we had a dance party! And yes, you could find me out there…I am not afraid to boogey.
January 2013 051-1
After dancing it was time to eat. The kids enjoyed snacks, ice cream sundaes, and of course cupcakes.
January 2013 068-1
Dallas got to open her presents before the party ended. She had a ball opening all the thoughtful and perfect gifts.
January 2013 082-1
As the girls left they all got to keep their poodle skirt and got a small goody bag of treats.
February 2013 007-1

I made the poodle skirts. Yup, that’s right, 12 of them. I found some really great websites on easy poodle skirt tutorials. I used techniques from a couple of them and made the skirts. I loved how they turned out. The girls looked so precious in them twisting and twirling around during the party.
The goody bags were an after thought. I found the bags in my party stash and knew I had to use them. I bought them a while back from Pick Your Plum. I decided on putting rock candy lollipops in them. When I went to our local popcorn store to buy them I was lucky they had enough white and purple pops for us. Of course once in the popcorn store I had to buy popcorn…and blue it was.
January 2013 005
I cut out the record from my Silhouette and printed “Thanks for Coming” on it.
January 2013 008
As we packed up our things and left the dance studio I realized that the whole time I never felt the weight of the party on my shoulders that I normally do. So, I would say that it was a huge success.
I had one happy 7 year old!
January 2013 057-1
I have to say, I was pretty proud of Hunter as well. He was a good sport being around all those girls for an hour and a half. He didn’t dance, but he was a sport none-the-less…
January 2013 091-1
and then I think he began to get bored…
January 2013 089-1
It’s a good thing we already ate…I mean hands down both sides of his pants?!
Thanks y’all for stopping by! Hope you enjoyed reading about Dallas’ party and maybe got a couple of ideas for your next bash. Have a Happy Monday.
Y’all come back now!
S~
January 2013 071

2 comments:

  1. Love this party idea! And your decorations are always so over-the-top cute! I wish I had your craftiness abilities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I saw the picture of Hunter, all I could think of is... what a BOY thing to do! Something my kids would do as well. AND get it caught on camera to boot! Classic! Lovely party by the way! No little girls for me to do this cutesy stuff for though... oh well!

    ReplyDelete