Monday, March 25, 2013

40th Birthday–Picnic Style

March 2013-Eric 024-2

Hey y’all. Happy Monday! This post has been on my mind since last week, but just haven’t had the time to sit and write it up…until now.

Last weekend we threw a party for my oh-so-awesome husband. He turned 40 on the 14th! Seems kind of crazy if you ask me that he’s 40, but he still rocks!

We decided on a picnic style afternoon and what we southerners like to say a good ole pig pickin’.

I got in touch with a guy who is friends with a dear friend of ours who makes the best pig. I’m telling y’all his pig will make you slap yo mama silly. Well, maybe not, but it is the BEST! Mike was more than happy to do the pig and most of the sides for us. I knew I didn’t want to have to do too much of the food, so I catered it out to Mike.

We chose a picnic style atmosphere because it just fit.

We rented tables and chairs and a big bounce house for the kids.

March 2013-Eric 010-1

We also set up some corn hole games in the backyard for anyone who wanted to play.

March 2013-Eric 018-1

We set up the tables and chairs under a couple of pop up tents I borrowed from friends. It was nice to have a covered area for people to sit.

March 2013-Eric 005-1

We settled on colors of light blue and red because they seemed like good picnic colors.

I made a few decorations…mostly just flag banners to hang in the tents for a little something extra.

March 2013-Eric 041-1

We put the food in the garage to keep it from the weather.

I hung white sheets from our hanging shelf to give it a nicer background.

March 2013-Eric 008-1

I got out my trusty 4th of July decorations and used a few of those as well. I hung red/white/blue lantern lights with a star in the middle, because we all know my Eric was the star of the show. Ha!

March 2013-Eric 001-1

Take a look at the sweets table. Pretty fun. It was filled with Eric’s two favorite candies…Swedish Fish and Twizzlers.

My Sister-in-law made the cupcakes – just white cupcakes with vanilla buttercream frosting.

I made the cupcake toppers. They turned out super cute. I took pictures of Eric from all his years as a child until now, and we made them into toppers. It was fun to see him through the years.

March 2013-Eric 009-2

As for the cake, I made that. It was plain and simple, just the way he likes it. I’ll share the recipe later, because it did turn out delicious or so I was told…I was stuffing my face with pig and didn’t have cake that night.

Also on the table we had a frame for people to sign for a little memory.

March 2013-Eric 004-1

This is always a fun thing to put out at any party.

We also had the drink table with lemonade and sweet tea…perfect for a picnic.

March 2013-Eric 006-1

Please don’t mind the weed identification poster behind the drinks. Identifying weeds while getting a drink is always fun, right? Ha! I ran out of sheets and didn’t realize it was such an eyesore until I saw the picture…whoops. But then again, weeds and picnics do go hand in hand.

March 2013-Eric 019-1

Beer and wine were also served.

I have to tell you, it was such a fun party. There was lots of running around the morning of the party. And when we woke up and it began to sprinkle I may have been caught in a closet breathing into a bag, but the sun came out and it turned out to be a beautiful day. Perfect for a picnic.

March 2013-Eric 054-1

Happy birthday to my wonderful husband, Eric. He was so happy that is brother and family were able to come and join us. And I couldn’t have pulled this party off without the help of my sister-in-law and mother-in-law. Well, I could have, but it sure wouldn’t have been as much fun!

Thanks y’all for all your help!

March 2013-Eric 021-1

March 2013-Eric 011-1

March 2013-Eric 013-1

March 2013-Eric 015-1

March 2013-Eric 027-1

March 2013-Eric 045-1

March 2013-Eric 050-1

Feb-Mar 2013 phone pics 047-1

March 2013-Eric 059-1

Happy birthday, Babe! Here’s to 40 more great years!

 

A big THANK YOU to all those who helped pull this party off, from letting us borrow tents or corn hole boards, to helping get the keg and making food. It all turned out great. But it was just awesome to hang out and celebrate with our wonderful friends and family!

Thanks for stopping by. Smile

No comments:

Post a Comment