Friday, March 1, 2013

Fabric Covered Bulletin Board

Hey there! When I started Dallas’ room transformation from “baby girl” to “little girl” I knew she needed a big bulletin board over her desk to hang things. There’s something about bulletin boards.
Of course I couldn’t just put up a plain old brown bulletin board…oh no, I think Fancy Nancy would have a big ole hissy fit.
When Dallas picked out her fabric choices I knew exactly which one I was going to use…and then came the:
Blog stuff 2012 077-1

This little project took no time at all…well once the paint was dry. Ha!
Here’s how I did it.
I bought a 24X36 inch photo frame from Target.
Blog stuff 2012 020
I didn’t want it black, so I painted the frame white. This was super simple. I sanded the frame just a tad with 220 sand paper, so the paint would have something to adhere to. Since I had the white paint and primer out from doing the desk chair, I went ahead and painted the frame with primer and then two coats of paint.
Blog stuff 2012 021
I also got two packs of corkboard squares. There were 4 squares in each pack. I bought the squares, a small box cutter, and pulled out my spray adhesive I had on hand.
Blog stuff 2012 022
I took the plexi-glass that was in the photo frame and laid it out. I needed something to stick the corkboard to and figured I used what came with the frame.
I sprayed the frame and the cork squares with the adhesive spray and put them on the plexi-glass {which is fancy for plastic} and set it aside to dry.
Boy, that was a bust because it didn’t work! So, on to plan B…HOT GLUE! I heated up my hot glue gun which gets really hot and glued those suckers down to the plastic thingy. And that my friends worked like a charm.
Blog stuff 2012 024
When the cork was dry and stuck to the plexi-glass, I took it inside to add the fabric.
I laid the fabric out and cut it a little bigger than the corkboard. I wrapped the fabric around the board pulling it tight and hot gluing the fabric to the plexi-glass side of the board.
Blog stuff 2012 042-1
I folded the corners in and hot glued them neatly.
Blog stuff 2012 046
When it was all glued down it looked like this:
Blog stuff 2012 050
It was then time to add it to the frame. Now, as you know when you buy picture frames there are those little hook thingy’s that are attached to the back of the frame that hole the back to the frame itself. Well, with adding the cork those things didn’t fit into the frame to hold the corkboard in place. I had to come up with something else.
I took small finishing nails and carefully nailed them into the back of the frame securing them.
Blog stuff 2012 056
And then it was done!
Blog stuff 2012 052
I couldn’t wait to hang it in her room above her desk.
She LOVED it, and I couldn’t be happier.
Blog stuff 2012 069
I think it’s so perfect for her room. I remember as a little girl having a bulletin board, but mine sure wasn’t as cute as this one. What do you think???
Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend. Y’all come back now!
S~

No comments:

Post a Comment