Wednesday, March 27, 2013

A “Simple” Cake

Hey y’all! Happy Wednesday. I don’t know about you but this week is flying by…but then again they all do.

Today I want to share the recipe I used to make the cake for Eric's 40th birthday party. Now, I have to preface this by telling you that my husband really doesn’t care for cake.

When I asked him what kind of cake he wanted for his party he said “ice cream cake”. Well, that just wouldn’t work with the party being outside and all.

So, I went with Plan B…a simple vanilla cake. He l.o.v.e.s. bananas so I thought if I could somehow make a banana filling that would be even better.

With the help of my mother-in-law and sister-in-law here’s what we came up with.

March 2013-Eric 009-2-1

To start off I knew I was short on time, so it was going to have to be a  boxed cake {gasp!}.

But then my friend was telling me about a pin she had on her Pinterest board of how to make a boxed cake taste like a baker. It looked simple enough so I did it.

I also used a tip from a friend of freezing the cake before frosting to make it easier.

Well, let me just tell you that both of those tricks were awesome! I will definitely be using them again in the future.

So, let’s get started on this cake shall we?

I have to apologize that there are not pictures from along the way. Frankly I was in a bit of a rush come party day to get this cake plated and on the sweets table.

Here are the recipes for each part:

Vanilla Cake

1 box cake mix {I used yellow}

The amount of eggs on the box + 1 more

Use melted butter instead of oil and double the amount

Use milk instead of water

Mix well with an electric mixer. Place in greased and floured round cake pans and bake according to directions on the box.

Now, here’s a little disclaimer: When I pulled my cakes out of the oven they looked all fluffy like boxed cakes do and then they went flat. I got nervous but went with it anyway. They turned out PERFECT. They were perfectly moist. So, don’t be alarmed if your cakes do the same. It will be fine.

Cool the cakes on a wire rack for a bit, then wrap them in saran wrap and pop those suckers in the freezer. The cool part about this trick that I learned is that you can do this days in advance and then frost the day of…awe-some!

Banana Cream Cheese Filling

4 oz. cream cheese – room temperature

1/2 tsp. vanilla

1 large egg white – room temperature

1/4 cup sugar

1-2 bananas mashed {depending on how “bananay” you want it}

Beat cream cheese and vanilla with paddle attachment on your mixer. When smooth, set aside. Take another clean mixing bowl and your whisk attachment and beat the egg white until frothy – about 1 minute. Gradually beat in sugar. Increase speed to high and beat until shiny and stiff peaks form.

Add cream cheese mixture and banana. Beat until smooth.

When you are ready to frost, take your cakes out of the freezer and unwrap them. Place one layer on your cake plate and spread the filling on top. Top with the second cake layer, and now you’re ready to frost.

Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

This has to be my favorite frosting in the world and is such a crowd pleaser.

3 cups Confectioner’s Sugar

1 cup butter, softened

1 tsp. vanilla

1-2 Tbsp. Whipping Cream {you can use half n half here}

Mix sugar and butter slowly in your mixer {so it doesn’t make a mess} until blended.

Increase speed to medium for 3 minutes.

Add vanilla and 1 Tbsp. cream.

Beat 1 minute

Add more cream if needed and beat until blended. {I usually use 2 Tbsp. at the least}

Once your frosting is made, frost that cake and there you have it. The cake will defrost within a couple of hours and everyone will love your cake!

Remember that birthday boy I was telling you about who doesn’t like cake. Well, he LOVED this one…so I think I did OK.

So tell me, what’s your favorite cake or cake trick???

Thanks for stopping by!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment