Sunday, March 24, 2013

A Run for a Cause

Yesterday morning was pretty cold.

There were teeth chattering and lots of shivering.

Yesterday was the day I’ve been training for for a few weeks now. I along with several friends ran a race.

We ran a race for a good cause.

It was the second annual Ella’s Race. It was a race to raise money for pediatric cancer. Chick-fil-a sponsored this race, and can I just tell you I think it was my favorite race I’ve ever run.

Granted I’ve not run too many races in my life but this one had a meaning like no other. It was in honor of a child…a sweet, beautiful child who was taken from her parents, family, and friends way too early due to an inoperable brain tumor.

I never knew this sweet angel but as a mother and human being I think we can all relate. A child is precious, and one that has to be taken from us so quickly is just plain “NOT FAIR” as my children like to say.

But, Chick-fil-a and many other sponsors came together to for this race in honor of this beautiful little girl to help raise money to hopefully one day find a cure for this awful and unfair disease.

Yes, it was very cold yesterday morning, but as the hundreds of people who came out to run and support this race crowded in a “herd”, we were all warmed by each other and the spirit of this little angel.

photo (1)

This is us before the race. We were trying to keep warm and getting super excited to run.

As we crowded in the street before the start, all of a sudden there was a flash mob of parents and children who started dancing a routine to “Call Me Maybe”.  At first we were a little confused and then we realized it was Ella’s parents and classmates doing the flash mob because Ella would’ve loved that.

Yeah, not a dry eye in the streets at that point.

Before we knew it the gun was fired {by her big brother} and we were off. There was a 5K and 10K. We were running the 10K.

I haven’t run a 10K since 1996 when I ran the Peachtree Road race. There was a little more training I had to do this time around but it was worth it.

The race was very hilly and pretty hard at times especially the last mile {which was straight up hill}. I was running with my great friend and running buddy, Jaleh. It was wonderful having her there with me. She helped keep me going when I didn’t think my legs had anymore in me. Yes, I’ve run 6 miles in the last couple of weeks, but not uphill, and that my friends is a whole other beast.

There was a point toward the end that I just didn’t think I could run uphill one second longer. My legs slowed. Then all of a sudden I felt a little push. There was no hand on me, but I had a push in my back like I’ve never felt. I started running again and finished that race in my best personal time. I like to think it was sweet Ella who helped push me up that hill. I figured if she can face what she faced in her sweet little life, I can certainly tackle and conquer one hill. I finished for her.

photo

I hope to run this race every year. To see the people of all ages who came out to work together for a cause like no other touched my soul. I am honored to have run in a race for this little girl and all those children who face cancer, defeat it, and grow angels wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment