Sunday, November 6, 2011

Bulldawg Nation

We are home.
Home from an awesome weekend where I returned back to my roots.
We left in a hurry on Thursday afternoon.
I mean, I didn't even have time to clean the house before I left, and had to come home to it dirty...oh well it was well worth it.
We drove to my parent's house in Georgia and arrived in record time.

Hunter was a bit tired from sports camp that morning and took a little snooze on the way down.
Anyway, we pulled in to my parent's in under 8 hours, which is very hard to do, because it's a long drive especially with two small kids.
We hung out with Mama and Daddy for a little bit and let the kids get some energy out.

Friday morning was wonderful.
Waking up late in my childhood bed and having my daddy make us breakfast made for a great start to the day.
Eric and I got ready and headed to Athens.
I have been so excited to go back to Athens for some time now.
I was there 10 years ago and graduated 8 years ago.
8 years ago...how in the world did that happen?
Much less, how in the world have I not been back in about 7 years???
But I guess when you move straight to Florida, have kids, and then move to North Carolina, it's kind of hard to make it back a lot.
Anyway, we were back.
The streets, the campus, and downtown all still look the same.
There's something to be said for Athens. It's one of those places that gets in your blood and never leaves. I bleed red and black!

We had lunch downtown and walked around reminincing.
We walked the campus and the many hills that are throughout North Campus.
{I left my camera in the car, so there were no pictures here...sorry.}

We went to check into our hotel and get settled a little, and decided to do a little more reminicing.
We drove through town and by all the places that I lived.
The memories all came rushing back as we passed all the places where I made so many memories in the four years I was there.
Did I say I bleed red and black???

We decided that Friday would have to be our "night out" seeing that we'd have to drive home today.
So, we hit the town.
We ate downtown at East West Bistro. We had the back corner booth and had a blast eating and drinking for over an hour...but we had no kids and no timelines. It was all about us.
Then, we hit the bars. We went to all the bars we used to go to when I was in school.
We started the night at The Globe {that was always our ending place...funny how things change.} We then went to what used to be Uptown Lounge {only my favorite bar in town}. The building's still there, but it's been renamed and is some 80's bar.
We had fun dancing, but I must admit, it didn't hold a candle to my old "lounge".
We hit a few more bars throughout the evening and even got laughed at when we showed our id...
can you imagine. I mean, we're not that old, are we?
Whatever people...we hung with the youngins and had a ball.

We ended the night at 2:30 AM and decided to call our cab.

All I can say is it hurts a lot worse at 32 than it did at 22!!!

Saturday morning was pretty tough, but after a while we rallied and got ready for the game.
Afterall, that's why we were there, right??? There was no way I was missing the game.

It was homecoming and we played New Mexico State.
We knew it would be a pretty easy game, and it turned out to be that way.
None-the-less, I was back "between the hedges" and there was no other place I would have rather been.





The game was a bit of a blowout, but we had an awesome time.
{Eric scored some great seats from a work collegue and fellow UGA alum.}
However, we were a bit tired.
We headed back to our room for a quick nap.
We got ready for dinner and went back downtown for dinner at DePalma's.
This was the place where we had our first date 10 years ago...so it was only fitting to return.
The food and ambiance were just as lovely as it was so many years ago.

Here's the funny part.
After dinner, did we hang again with all those youngins going out for round 2???
Um, no!
We went back to our room, watched the LSU vs Alabama game, and fell asleep.
Hey, we can hang one night...just not two. :o)

This morning we met my parents, had breakfast, and squeezed our kiddos.
We missed them but had an awesome time!
And as for the looks of it, they had fun with Mama Suzy and Papa G.


Now we are home and all I can say is it was wonderful to be back in Bulldawg Nation.
 I just hope it's not another 7 years before I get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment