Monday, November 21, 2011

The Late Great, Mr. Larry Munson

Today is a sad day for all of us Georgia Bulldog fans out there.
Today is a day that we all knew would happen at some point, but we just didn’t want to face the fact.
The legendary Georgia Bulldog play-caller, Mr. Larry Munson passed away yesterday.
Growing up in a house of Georgia football fans one thing was always for sure…every Saturday during football season the house rang with the gruff, scratchy voice of Mr. Larry Munson.
And when I say his voice rang through the house, I mean it was everywhere. Every radio in the house, including the ones in the bathrooms, blared with his voice. You actually felt like you were at the game.
If you had the opportunity to go to a game, you would see menfolk all over the stadium wearing radio headsets to listen to the voice of Larry call each and every play of the game.
To say that he had a way with words is an understatement. His love for not only football but Georgia football would make anyone get excited to watch and/or listen to a game.
There are so many “Larryisms” as I’d like to call it. I believe he’s the one who coined the phrase “Silver britches” and "Hunker down". But my favorite of all time is from 2001 when we played Tennessee at Tennessee. We came back and with 5 seconds left in the game David Greene threw a touchdown pass to Vernon Haines. Larry was so excited he yelled… "We just stepped on their face with a hobnail boot and broke their nose!!!”
{It still gives me chills listening to those words.}
Like any major event that happens in ones life, I will always remember where I was when I watched this play and heard those sweet but stabbing words.
I was with my Daddy on the porch watching the game. I was attending UGA at the time but didn’t make the trek to the game. We all hooted and hollered and cheered.
As only my Daddy could state…”Hoooyah!”
It's for certain, Larry had a way with making everyone appreciate the excitement of the game of Georgia Football.
There will never be another Larry Munson. He will forever be missed and treasured.
Thank you Mr. Larry for the wonderful memories and for allowing this once little bulldog to grow into a true “big” bulldog. As the great Elton John once sang, “Your candle burned out long before your legend ever will.”




No comments:

Post a Comment