Sunday, November 20, 2011

Baking, Nursery Rhymes, and Parties oh my!

 

Man, I have really been horrible lately about writing. Somehow I’m only getting to write maybe once a week.

What is wrong with me???

Oh wait. It’s called kids, school, school projects, and a calendar full of events.

I’m sorry I haven’t been around much. I know that your life just can’t go on without me…hahaha.

Just kidding. I do miss writing everyday or a couple of days a week. I love writing and wish I could do it more. But these kids love to keep me busy.

The week was pretty hectic with Dallas tracking back in. Yup, vacation is over…back to the grind we go. I will admit that my house seemed to be cleaner {or shall I say more picked up} when she was out of school than when she’s in. I find that I’m running all day from here to yonder and the house takes a back seat so to speak…which I will admit drives me a bit crazy. But, there are only so many hours in a day.

So, when she went back, we were reminded that Friday would be Nursery Rhyme Day.

The kids were encouraged to wear costumes representing nursery rhyme characters and they were going to put on a performance for the parents.

I started thinking early in the week of who she could be.

I thought, and thought, and pondered, and thought.

She and I decided that she would go as “There was an old woman who lived in a shoe.” How cute, right.

I got really excited I must say because I was going to use my pretty little Silhouette SD to help make her costume.

I decided that I would print/cut out boy and girl figures on iron-on transfers and put them on a shirt. I mean how hard can it be, right? She could then wear some of my boots draped over her.

Well, as usual the idea in my head is much easier than it actually turns out to be.

First of all, I was doing this last minute {of course} and didn’t order the special heat transfer paper. I just bought some at Wal-mart thinking it was all the same….wrong!

I purchased the boy and girl figures from the Silhouette website. I was so proud of myself because I figured out how to put the on the computer and get them ready to print.

They were so cute. Each one was a different color and all I needed it to do was cut out the outline of the kids…right?

Well, when I cut, things went terribly wrong.

It started cutting out every edge…the eyes, mouth, outline, flower on the girl’s dress, etc, etc,

No, no, no!!! That’s not what I want it to do.

I worked for hours on that thing and just couldn’t figure out what I was doing wrong. I was literally to the point that I not only wanted to chuck the dang thing out my window, but I was seriously questioning my purchase of the whole Silhouette.

To save what sanity I had left, I just print the pages to the computer and cut them out. That night I ironed on the people and it did turn out super cute.

November 2011 004November 2011 003

That evening while at dance I was telling this story to my good friend. She looks at me and in one breath says, “What about YouTube?”

W-H-A-T?!

What do you mean – What about YouTube????

Where were you three hours ago when I was about to beat my brains in????

Well, I’m happy to report that I went home that night and checked out the old YouTube by granny they have tutorials on this thing.

Now my confidence is back up, and I’m going to learn this dang program and machine if it kills me.

Anyway, before I digress anymore, Dallas’ outfit was super cute. I also decided that she needed some curlers for her hair.

And here she is…. “There was an old woman who lived in a shoe.”

November 2011 002

If you can’t tell, she was a bit nervous to be wearing this outfit. She doesn’t like to have attention brought to her in public places, so she was a bit reluctant to wear this to school. But she learned real quickly what the term “Put your big girl panties on and do it” meant.

And, she did it and did great. She got up in front of the crowd….and that’s what matters. She overcame her fears and did something new. I’m a  proud mama!

November 2011 012

We had a full weekend {as usual}…

It started with basketball for Hunter at 8:00 AM on Saturday.

Left there, home for showers and off to two parties.

Our old neighbors who moved across town {as you may remember} had a house warming party. So, after we attended a birthday party, we headed to their house for a little while.

I helped make a little food for her.

I made a chicken corn chili that was wonderful. I will post the recipe for this one…it was easy and a crowd pleaser.

I also made some cookie balls.

Oreo Cookie Balls

Nilla-Strawberry Cookie Balls

Nutter Butter Cookie Balls

I’ll tell you, they were so easy and people loved them.

We also went to dinner at a couple’s house Friday night and I made a Pumpkin-Pecan Cheesecake

November 2011 022

You can find the recipe: HERE

Are you tired yet or just bored?

Last week was a busy week but looking forward to Thanksgiving being with family filled with laughter and good food.

As I sign off for tonight just wanted to share a couple of pictures from the past week that just melt my heart.

November 2011 016November 2011 021

November 2011 019

November 2011 032November 2011 038

Can you tell we’re in baseball birthday mode???

No comments:

Post a Comment