Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Christmas Tree Pillow

I'm just tickled pink with how this pillow turned out...
Take a look.
I recently bought some white and red linen at Michael's knowing I wanted to make some kind of pillow cover. Today the idea just came to me. Here's how it all went down.

I measured the length and width of a pillow I already had on hand.

I then cut the red and white linens to the same dimensions I needed.
{I cut a couple of extra inches so I'd have some "hem" room.}

I folded the edges and ironed them all down making the perfect rectangle of my existing pillow.

Here's where it gets a little tricky...I don't sew. Uh, oh!
Well, I did the next best thing...I heated up my trusty old hot glue gun.

I started with one side and started gluing as close to the edge as I could without the glue seeping out.
Once three sides were glued together, I got started on the Christmas Tree.
I printed out a triangle shape from Word and cut it out of cardstock. I just needed a template to help make my lines and triangle straight.
Next, I started ironing creases in the triangle kind of like an accordion.
I also cut out a rectangle of burlap for the trunk, folded and hot glued the edges.
I glued the trunk down under the tree and then started gluing the edges of the tree. I was very careful the keep the creases so it looks like a tree.
I also kept the edges of the triangle "free" and unhemmed...I think it looks a little more tree-like.
I knew something was missing. Can you guess???
A star!
I found a glittery, gold star sticker in my scrapbooking stuff...perfect.
A little hot glue and of course a silvery bow.

I put the pillow in and was ecstatic to find that I measured correctly and it fit perfectly!
Yay me!
I'm not quite finished yet. I'm going to get some Velcro {thanks, Mama for the idea} to close up the fourth edge. I want to be able to reuse the pillow.
Let's take another look, shall we?

 This is the front
This is the back
So, whatcha think??? I'm getting really excited about all the possibilities of Christmas decorations.
Want to make one yourself?
Here's what I used.
Red and white linen cut to fit an existing pillow
A scrap piece of green fabric and burlap
A glittery, gold star sticker
Hot glue
{or sewing machine if you know how to sew.}

Do you have any fun Christmas projects going??? I'd love to hear about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment