Thursday, October 6, 2011

Chiggers...

{Viewer discretion is advised. I don't normally say ugly words on here, but as you read you will understand why some might slip...just saying.}

So tell me, have you ever seen one of these guys?
View the Bad Bugs Slideshow Pictures

Of course you haven't.
It's because these microscopic pests are just that P.E.S.T.S!!!
And you will never see them with a naked eye.
Do you have a clue as to what it is. Well, if the title didn't give it away, this little creature would be a chigger.

I grew up in the south and heard a lot of people talk about chiggers.
I never really knew what they were though.
I can honestly say that in my 32 years of life I have never been attacked by a chigger.
Well, that is until now.
I have now been attacked...yes attacked by this nasty, tiny, little creature.

After attending a field trip with my daughter yesterday and going on a hay ride I discovered last night these awful, itchy bumps and had no clue as to what they were.
It took all day of coating with Benedryl cream until my bestie had the brilliant idea that these {things} were the culprit to my itchiness.

Now, here's the bad part.
Want to take a guess as to where these mosquito bite looking welts are located on my body?
Legs? Nope.
Arms? Nope.
Ankles? Nope.
Ass...
Yes!
Yes that would be were they have inhabited on my body.
Seriously?!?!
I mean who gets Chiggers on their ass???
{That would be ME...the same person that can figure a way to blow the orbit out in her face...let's just say I was for a few days officially an "air" head.}

In researching this "bad bug" I've discovered that it has been thought they bury themselves in your skin...g.r.o.s.s.
Thank goodness, I can tell you that that is not true. They just bite you like a mosquito and as they take your blood they swap it with an enzyme...fun.
I also read that sometimes a skin rash may occur, but "It may stop where the underwear meets the legs."
Um...Not!!!
At least not in my case.
These suckers nudged their way under my pretty underwear {without my permission} and had themselves a feast!
I hope they're all fat and happy now,
 but sure wish they would have sucked out more fat.

I would love to have some of Mrs. Devine's Jewelweed lotion she gave Fancy Nancy when she got poison ivy.
Anything to take the itch away.
Although I have found the Children's Benedryl Intant Cooling Gel to work wonders.
My ass feels like it's covered in Icy Hot...but it's not itching, so I'll take it.

So here's the lesson for the day my dear friends.
As you go out to the fun pumpkin patches and cuddle up with your loved ones on the back of a tractor on a big bale of hay, just know your risks.
You could be the next victim of these blood-sucking, itchy welt causing little creatures.
And yes, I did have on jeans.
 Take precautions...and sit on a blanket.

So tell me...have you ever been attacked my chiggers?

1 comment:

  1. I've done COUNTLess hayrides and never anything. Keeping in mind I am allergic to hay (and grass and trees and.. yeah you get the picture). And for someone who has severe reactions to any bug bites (I get like 2-inch massive welts from a bug bite), I can tell you that I've never had that happen. You must be some kind f lucky?! ;)

    ReplyDelete