Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Coffee Filter Wreath

 I have a friend who's a fellow crafter and turned me on to this super cute idea of making a coffee filter wreath.
I didn't know what to expect until she showed a picture of one to me.
I was hooked and
had.to.make.one...

So, last week while Eric was traveling she came over, and we each started making one.
I had so much fun hot gluing, talking, and drinking wine.

Anyway, before I digress anymore, here's what it looks like and how it's made.
{because believe me, you will be hooked too.}


Isn't it just gaw-geous???

Here's what you'll need to make one for yourself:
A Styrofoam wreath
{I got the medium size one from Michael's...and don't forget your coupon.}
coffee filters...a lot of coffee filters
glue gun and glue sticks
marker
shows to watch on TV or a friend to make one with you
Time...lots and lots of time

First, heat up the hot glue gun.
While that's heating up, go ahead and start separating your coffee filters.
I got the ones from Wal-Mart and later realized they were the 4 cup filters.
By the way, I ended up using close to 700 filters.

Next, you'll want to place the marker in the center of a coffee filter...like so:

Turn it all over and fold the filter down and around the marker.


{sorry the lighting is awful, and I terribly need a new camera.}

Put a dot of hot glue on the tip and place on the wreath.
I didn't take a picture in the beginning, but start from the inside of the wreath and work your way out.


Another pointer...you want to make sure that you put the filters very close together.
The closer you put them together, the tighter they are, and the fuller your wreath will be.

Like I said, you need time...it takes a lot of time to make.
This is definitely not one of those quick type projects, but it pays off in the end.
It took me about 6 hours total to make it.
I worked on it a couple of hours for a few nights and then finished it up this morning.

When you finish, turn it over because the inside might need a "hair cut".
Just trim up the ones that are sticking far out the inside hole or around the outside.

You want to make it as clean on the back as possible.

And there you have it...a coffee filter wreath!


I didn't think this would fare very well on my front door.
Thanks to my friend who got me inspired on this project, she also pointed out a great home for it.

I used some brown ribbon I already had and hung her up.



So, whatcha think????
I just L.O.V.E it!!!

Thanks, Ashley for your inspiration and for coming along on this venture!!!
I had so much fun!

1 comment: