Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Kids...

Hello there! I know it's been almost a week since I've last written, and I'm sorry. And I know you've all been on the edge of your seats {or computer screens} just waiting to hear from me and see what we've been up to, and I've left you hanging. What can I say, life has been crazy. 
We had a great weekend with Eric's parents, Grammy and Poppy, here. They are so wonderful and we always love when they come to visit.
But I have to admit I am pretty embarrassed by my children's behavior, and that's why I'm writing you today. 
OK, take a minute and look at these faces...
 What do you see?
Do you see innocense?
Do you see happiness?
 Do you see contempt?
 Do you see total and utter sweetness?

I remember taking this picture and loving it. They were giggling and all was happy in our home and with the world.
I have to tell you though, I wouldn't have wanted to take a picture of my children this weekend.
Why you ask?
Because if I had you would not see these pure, sweet children...you would see monsters.
And I'm not talking cute, cuddly, little monsters like Elmo and Abby Caddaby from Sesame Street. I'm talking about the monsters you see on the Halloween Isle these days in Wal-Mart or Party City.
Now, I will tell you they weren't monsters the whole weekend, just 98% of the time.
We did have glimpses of fun and laughter, but they were few and far between.
Most of our weekend was full of..
whining,
fussing,
fighting,
bad attitudes,
interupting,
sass mouthing,
and just plain not being nice.
At one point in the weekend I felt like Minny Jackson from "The Help" approaching her daughter {like I did my own}..."Don't you be sass mouthin' me ".

On Monday I found myself really beating myself up about their behavior. I was completely embarrassed. I couldn't believe they showed out like they did, all weekend. And for some reason, I think their behaivor reflects me as a parent. I kept trying to tell myself, "thank goodness it was just family".

So, here's my question to you...
Do your kids show their bad sides when family {or guests} are around?
Sometimes {and I know it's not true} I feel that my kids are the ONLY kids who act like this. Meaning, nothing is ever right, and when they don't get what they want at the exact second they want it they either pitch a huge fit, or they look at you and say you're "not nice" to them.
Really?!
Because last I checked, I live to make them happy.
Yes, I have boundaries and rules to follow and expect them to do the right thing and be nice, but I also try my hardest to make them happy...always.
But apparently because I didn't let them stay out 5 minutes longer one night because it was a school night, I'm "never nice" to them...
I guess I'm the Wicked Witch of the West....maybe that's why there's a new wart on my nose.

But, the weekend is over, and the past is in the past. I'm trying to let it go and really focus on the fun we had while Grammy and Poppy were here, like all of us going on the bumper boats at a birthday party and totally soaking Grammy.
Or the yummy dinners we all got to enjoy outside on the deck because the evenings were so nice.
The Phillies looked good, and the Eagles looked good. My poor Bulldogs looked better but didn't win {which was pretty tough to take}.
We had a fun potluck after a great church service on Sunday,
and Dallas had a good soccer game on Saturday morning.
Yes, there were some good, fun times we shared with Grammy and Poppy as we always do, and I guess I just have to chalk the kids' behavior up to the fact that...
Kids will be Kids.
{and they're good at embarrassing their Mamas.}

 

1 comment:

  1. My kids do the same thing whenever the grandparents are around. But yet everywhere else that I am NOT, they are little angels.
    I get so embarrassed too but then I try to remember that the experts say that the reason they act up with you (especially when other people are around) is because they feel safe and secure enough to do so. My kids must feel like the safest and most secure children ever produced then!!! lol

    ReplyDelete