Wednesday, April 4, 2012

It’s Master’s Time

I did not grow up in a house of golfers nor real golf fans. But, there’s something about this time of year that gets me a little excited…if you don’t know, it’s Master’s time.

What is the Master’s you ask??

Well, first of all let’s get you to crawl out from under that rock you’ve been living under…ha, just kidding.

The Master’s is one of if not the biggest golf tournament of the year. It takes place in Augusta, Georgia.

It is a beautiful place, probably one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.

It’s known for their azaleas that bloom in every color possible from one point of the course to the other. The trees, flowers, and plants are perfectly groomed, and the grass is beautifully manicured and rolls through endless hills and valleys.

It’s simply breathtaking.

I’ve had the wonderful opportunity to visit the Master’s one year and it was a great experience. We went to a practice round a few years ago with a couple of friends. It’s just amazing being there among so many professional golfers.

{These were taken in 2007 my first – and only – trip to the Master’s. Man that seems like forever ago.}

But, I think the first time I ever really watched and began to appreciate the Master’s event was in 1997. I was a senior in high school. I remember the weekend very vividly. I was writing a research paper for my English class. It was very {as my kids like to say} bor-ing. As I was writing this paper I had the golf tournament on TV in the background. I’m not even sure why I had it on. It must have been because my boyfriend at the time and told me to watch it…who knows.

However, I remember that this Master’s was a very special one. There was a particular player who came out of no where and would not only win his first Master’s {as the youngest at the time} but also he would take the world by a storm with his golf game and become the best golfer in the world..for many years to come.

This player was Tiger Woods.

Tiger Woods is returning to form just in time for the Masters in Augusta

I so vividly remember sitting on my floor in my bedroom at the foot of my bed, books, and papers spread out around me, and this “kid” won the Master’s. It was thrilling.

Ever since that day I have a small special love for the Master’s: maybe it’s the memory of watching a once in a lifetime moment, maybe it was years later actually getting to walk the coarse, or maybe it’s the beautiful azaleas. Who knows what it is but this week I always get a little excited for golf.

I write all of this to say it’s officially Master’s time because…

blog stuff 2012 020

the azaleas in my backyard are in full bloom.

Let the games begin people. Happy Master’s Week.

No comments:

Post a Comment