Monday, April 2, 2012

Laundry Room Reno: Part 2

Let’s see, where did we leave off last time? Oh yes, the cabinets were painted, and I loved them {still do}.
January 2012 021
And you may notice that the walls are no longer red.
Like I said in part one, I’ve loved the red in the kitchen but it got old in the laundry room, real fast. Plus, I’m kind of getting over all the dark colors and ready to go for lighter, brighter.
I painted our playroom two shades of yellow a couple of years ago and love, love, love how it turned out. So, I decided I wanted to use the same colors in my laundry room, with a little bit of “flare” to it.
I also love the look of bead board and board and batten on walls. I love the wood look and how it’s clean, bright, and very cheery.
I didn’t think the bead board would be an easy installment in a laundry room, especially with me doing most of the work. Also, I thought cost wise, it might be a bit cheaper to install board and batten instead of sheets of bead board.
So, board and batten it is. I scoured some of my favorite blogs and found a couple of tutorials I used for “guidance”.
I did have to get my sweet husband’s help on this part of the project. And, I must say we had some friends who turned out to be our lifesavers with their miter saw…Thanks Gretchen and Josh.
January 2012 016
We did hang the trim first before any of the paint went up…
Covering red, especially with a lighter color can be pretty tricky.
I applied one coat of a latex wall paint primer that I had left over from painting the laundry room. It works great.
After the primer dried, I applied the first, lighter color yellow at the from the top of the trim to the ceiling.
January 2012 001January 2012 002January 2012 003January 2012 005
Was already loving it!
Once the two coats of the light yellow dried, I took some time with my level laser thingy and made one 14 inch horizontal 7 inches from the ceiling.
January 2012 008
I then painted the darker yellow in the stripe…two coats of this one as well.
I let that dry a bit and then removed the tape.
January 2012 009January 2012 010January 2012 011January 2012 012January 2012 013January 2012 014
Perfect! Exactly what I was wanting.
Once the paint was finished at the top, Eric and I worked together. I installed the bench on the “entry wall” as you walk in the door. Eric was measuring, cutting, and installing all the boards for the board and batten.
January 2012 025
The bench was pretty simple to install. I bought a board at Home Depot and we got it cut to size. I also bought 8 L brackets and 4 wood brackets.
After painting it all white, I found the studs in the wall and attached the wood brackets to the wall with the L brackets. Then, I screwed the bench onto the wood brackets. There you have it…a bench.
While I was working on this, Eric was helping install the boards on the wall. It was pretty simple too…just some trim boards cut to size, and nailed in.
January 2012 015
Of course we have to have our “helpers”. She’s making sure the bench works. ;o)
Once the board and batten was installed, I painted the lower section a semi-gloss pure white that I had made to match the cabinets. It is so bright and airy.
All of this from the start of the cabinets to the finish of the paint took a little over two weeks. Mainly because with two young kids there's not a lot of time to devote on a project. I had to paint at night after they went to bed and on the weekends {thanks to my sweet hubs, again, for helping with them as well}. The walls were finished and the bench was installed. We then wanted to replace the floor...But,
We were kind of at a stand still for a little bit to finish that. However, I'm thrilled to tell you that that was finally done last week.
January 2012 003
This was the old floor…white, 1990’s vinyl. I bought the rug at TJ Maxx for $30.00 to help make it look a little nicer.
We ended up going with more vinyl, but these days they make it so much nicer. It looks like tile, but it’s not so cold and hard.
March 2012 001
So much nicer, huh???
And lastly, I painted the back door. I was tired of it white…just white. So, I spruced it up a bit.
laundry room reno Jan 2012 008March 2012 088
Well, now that all the hard work is complete, the fun can begin…decorating.
Part 3 will be all about that….from the bench cover I made, to the other accessories I came across.
But for now, thank you so much for stopping by. I hope this inspires you to start a new project…Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment