Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Mommy's Kitchen Helpers

One of my fondest memories as a child was sitting on the kitchen counter in our teeny tiny kitchen "helping" my mama cook. She'd let me stir, mix, and pour things in. We had a lot of fun in the kitchen. From cooking to baking, I learned at a very early age how to read and follow recipes, and even how to make up recipes as I go along. Some of my favorite kitchen memories are the annual food fights Mama and I would get in while making the Christmas cookie assortment. Somehow we'd start the day out all fine and the next thing you know Daddy was having to break us up from laughter and chocolate from our head to toes. Too bad we never got pictures of it, because I'm sure we were such the sight! Needless to say, the kitchen is my "happy place".
From the time my kids were babies, I've had them in the kitchen with me. They would sit in the bouncy seat on the counter (don't worry I have a huge counter/island) while I cooked or baked. When Dallas got big enough she would sit on the counter and "help". She loved to pour and stir. I would've let Hunter sit, but he just wouldn't sit still. Dallas always sat like such a little lady babbling and requesting, "Me do it." Hunter was a different story. He wouldn't. sit. still. He wanted the best seat in the house...my hip! From the time he was a baby he would perch on my hip while I cooked dinner. I learned how to chop vegetables and cook with basically one arm, and he learned how to keep his fingers out of the way. (To tell you the truth, I think he'd still be on my hip every night if I could still hold him like that.)
Lately, my help has become few and far between. They find themselves doing other things, playing, watching tv, fighting...you know, kid stuff. But, there are those times when they like to help. Dallas especially likes to help me bake. She loves to measure, pour in things and mix them up. But, I think her favorite thing is licking the beater...yes I let her do it. Just for a taste. I get most of it off. Hey, I did it as a child, and I'm OK.
Hunter likes to bake too, but he loves to "cook" (and lately he loves to grill with Daddy). Dallas did the same thing when she was 3 1/2 but I must tell you she was MUCH neater. He tends to make the biggest mess possible. But, like I tell them, the best part of cooking is making a mess...and boy does he know how to do that. :o)
Tonight was a rare night around here where EVERYONE was in a good mood...at the same time. Hunter wanted to cook while I made dinner. OK, I was feeling it, so I got his stool, small pot, spoons, and old spices (that I don't use). I set him up next to the stove where I was and he took off. He poured and mixed, and dropped spices and spoons, and "baked", and "cooked", and dropped spices and spoons. He was in his groove.
He made a royal mess, but he had fun. And in the end, that's what it's about...fun.

Hunter stopping for a quick pose.

Serving dessert...yum!

He did help clean up his mess.















I LOVE having my kids in the kitchen with me. Yes, it takes me a little while longer to do things, and yes I usually have a bigger mess to clean up, but they are with me and WE are having fun. We are making those same memories that I made with my Mama (and Daddy sometimes) and I treasure those so much.
I'm just waiting for the day when one of them turns to me and says..."Move over Mama. I've got this."

Loves baking with Mommy!

Dallas helping Mama Suzy make deviled eggs.

Yum!


Not sure which is better...making the cookie dough or eating it.

Mommy's two helpers...yes Hunter is on the hip - making pancakes

Mommy's little chef

Hunter cooking with Mommy at 18 months.


Cooking with Mommy at 18 months

Adding spices at 18 months

Dallas at 21 months
Hunter helping Daddy grill for Mother's Day.


My favorite place to be with my kids!


No comments:

Post a Comment