Saturday, July 2, 2011

A Week of Projects

Whew, it has been a super busy week. After coming home from a great vacation with the family, I felt completely relaxed and recharged. I'm sure you're thinking that I was ready to start a new week in that same mind frame....uh, do you know me??? I don't know how to stay relaxed for very long.
On the drive home on Monday I told my husband that I was feeling "crafty", and I needed a project. His response, a shake of the head and a roll of the eyes - and in that order I think.
I have so many BIG projects I want to do, including painting the dining room, furniture, re-doing the bathroom, bedrooms, etc, etc. Well, right now I just don't have time to take those projects on, so I moved to the smaller ones, along with working three days this week (to make up from vacation), keeping the kids busy, the gym, household chores, and trying to stay cool in this ungodly heat outside.
By midweek, I found myself in the midst of 4 projects, and they always get bigger than they seem at the start. So, here we go:

1- I've decided it's time to get rid of the baby stuff. I know what you're thinking...the minute I do, I'll get pregnant. Well, if that happens, it will be by the grace of the good Lord and we'll cross that bridge if we must come to it. But at this point, I'm ready to get rid of it. So before vacation, with the help of my good friend, we sorted a BUNCH of clothes (granted we didn't even knock a dent in the total amount); and I had already hung them up for an upcoming consignment sale. This week, I printed out the price tickets for the clothes and started tagging...am I finished? Oh no...this is one of my on-going projects. I've tagged over half of them but still need to finish the clothes, pull out all the baby gear, clean it up, and tag it as well. But I figure, I don't HAVE to get rid of it. I'll do what I can and go from there...no pressure.

2- I also decided that I wanted to make a few file-folder games for my clients to work on completing activities, colors, shapes, etc. I know, doesn't sound like much, but they are a bit time consuming. I went to the teacher store, which is my happy place. I {heart} teacher stores. I didn't find anything for toddlers, but I found a ton of stuff for my own kids, so I ended up buying two activity books to make activity folders for them. I really need to work with them; I am officially a BAD teacher mommy.
So, I worked on my file-folder games and activity folders for two nights. I've completed them..check. Now, I just have to take them back to the teacher store to have them laminated...uncheck. Project, still not completed.

3- Recently I made Dallas some cute ribbon flip-flops. She loves them, so I've been feeling a little more inspired to do more (with ribbon, not flip flops). She is also getting into headbands...which breaks my heart b/c I love her in hairbows. But I figure, don't fight it, just work with her. So I bought some cheap headbands at Wal-Mart and ribbon from Michael's (all ribbon was 50% off this week...hooray) and a local fabric store that has good ribbon they sale by the yard.

It took just heating up the hot glue gun and time, and they were done. I started and finished these yesterday. I'll put a full tutorial on the projects page.

4- I love being a part of the blogging world. I have discovered so many crafty people out there. This week I found so many different projects to do for decorations for the 4th of July. Again, I was feeling crafty and obviously like I had a million hours in the day and nothing else going on...so why not take on a million more. To save room because this is getting pretty lengthy, I'll post a full description of each thing I did for this project seperately and post in the projects section, but here are a few pictures of the things I did yesterday.
My new ribbon wreath

This was super easy...got it from Landee See Landee Do

Total cost of all, about $8.00




And now we're ready for the 4th! It's great to be an American!
 

1 comment:

  1. I love it! Your mantle looks great! You're so festive. I;m so jealous!

    ReplyDelete