Sunday, July 24, 2011

Tomato Pie

My daddy's been telling me for months now that I need to add this to my recipes, but I haven't made it for a while and needed pictures to go along. Well, I made it tonight so here we go. I tweeked the recipe I've made in the past and mixed a couple of recipes together to make this one. I think it's a winner...very summery.
Ingredients:
1 Philsbury pre-made pie crust (I used the one in the refrigerated section)
4 medium tomatoes cut into thin slices
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup chopped onion (I cooked them for 2 minutes in the microwave in a little water - just takes the crunch out)
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil and thyme
1 cup shredded extra sharp white cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out pre-made pie crust and fit into a 9-inch pie plate (sprayed with Pam). Fold over edges and press all air out of the crust. Bake shell for 10-12 minutes or until lightly brown. Remove from oven and set aside.

Meanwhile, slice tomatoes and place them on a single layer of paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and let stand 15-20 minutes. Pat dry with paper towels...make sure you do this really well.

Mix together mayonnaise, onion, herbs, and 3/4 cup cheese.

When pie crust is ready, sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cheese. Layer tomatoes on top of cheese, and top with mayonnaise mixture spreading evenly.


Mommy's little helper


Bake for 30-35 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.

1 comment:

  1. I guess in this case 'Dad knows best!'. Thanks for sharing that.  

    ReplyDelete