Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sunday Supper

 Let me start by saying that only if you're from the south do you know that the pronunciation of Sunday Supper is not as it appears...you say it like this: Sundee Suppah.    That's just how it is...

There were two things I loved about Sunday growing up and that was church and Sunday supper {did you say it like you're supposed to? If not, try again...it sounds so much sweeter.}
I think I've explained to y'all before that my Mama was the best cook in the world. I learned everything I know from her. She was a bit of a super mom, and I used to tease her and call her June Cleaver all the time. Everynight we had a home-cooked meal on the table and they were all g.o.o.d {well, except for the night of the stuffed flounder and brown rice...that night the water was good}. So, come Sunday there was nothing new, we all knew we were going to get a good meal, but all the cards came out on Sundays. She'd make the best of the best those days. You know, fried chicken {back before fried was bad for you}, mashed potatoes, creamed corn, fried green tomatoes; or pot roast and all the fixin's; or Corned beef and cabbage. If I close my eyes I can see and smell all those meals being cooked in our tiny kitchen.
These days we don't have the Sunday Suppers like I had as a child. I try to do a little something special on Sundays {you know, the kind of meals that are not quick, weeknight meals}, but that doesn't always happen. Today I decided it was time for a Sunday Supper {review...Sundee Suppah...just making sure you're still with me}.
It's been so hot here no one has really wanted to eat too much, so I tried to come up with something light and summery. So, here's our menu:
Grilled Italian Chicken
Tomato Pie
Butterbeans
Candied Carrots
And Peach Cobbler for dessert {gotta have dessert on Sundays}

What a meal! It was so delicious. The chicken was easy. Just marinate it in some Italian dressing and grill {that's Eric's job}.
I'll post the recipes for tomato pie and peach cobbler because you have to try these...definite staples in our house repertoire.
The butterbeans, I must admit I pulled an old Sandra Lee. Sometimes I do make butterbeans from scratch, but yesterday I found Allen's brand butterbeans in southern seasoning and vidalia onion...might not ever make the real ones again. Yes, I ate canned butterbeans, but I'm telling you they were so good and hearty. I loved them.
And, the carrots were an old take on my Mama's candied carrots she made when I was a kid. I took some baby carrots, a little butter (about 1 1/2 Tbsp), and covered with water. I simmered for about 8-10 minutes until crisp tender. I drained most of the water (but left a little), and added about 2 tsp brown sugar. I returned to heat and simmered on low a few more minutes. They were awesome! The kids loved them too.

Are you full yet??? Well, supper's not over. Now time for dessert...a great old southern staple...peach cobbler and vanilla ice cream. It was suculant and literally melted in my mouth.

If you look carefully you can see it bubbling as it came out of the oven.
Now my belly is full and I'm thinking I might need an extra run in the morning, but full belly or not, today reminded me of just why I love Sundays...Church and Sundee Suppahs!

No comments:

Post a Comment