Friday, August 5, 2011

Es una fiesta a la casa de Lentz

Hola peeps! How are ya? I'm finally in a good mood...hahaha. It's been a tough week, for some reason. I was just a grump all week. I've wanted to write but just haven't felt like it. And like my Mama always taught me, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."
But, that's in the past and here I am, and that's all that matters.
So, last night I went to pick up my new dining room table (yippee) and long story but we decided to go out to dinner. As we walked in the restaurant, poor Hunter threw up everywhere...yeah, they didn't see that one coming (and neither did we for that matter). We're thinking he was just overly hungry and hot, and got car sick on the way there. Needless to say we did not go out to dinner. Eric told the kids that if Hunter felt better today that we'd go out. Well, Dallas being her very keen self, did not forget that little side-note from her daddy and brought it up to me today.
I wasn't really in the mood for going out to dinner today so I suggested that we make our kitchen into a Mexican restaurant and surprise Daddy and "eat out" at home. She loved the idea and we pulled out all of our "Mexican" party stuff...table cloth, straws, serving plate/bowl, etc. The kids help me set up and make part of the dessert (to come later). When Eric got home, they greeted him at the door and brought him into the "restaurant". He was very excited and so were they.

They enjoyed chips and cheese dip (of course) at the table before dinner.

Once the food was made we all enjoyed a yummy Mexican or "Tex-Mex" dinner consisting of tacos (and all the fixins'), corn on the cob, and Spanish rice.

Dallas picked her own outfit and it was the 3rd or 4th one of the day...don't judge.
I've never made Spanish rice before but was really pleased with the outcome.
Here's the quick recipe:
1 cup long grain cooked white rice
1 large tomato chopped (I used 1 1/2 small ones)
2 green onions, chopped
1 clove minced garlic
2 Tbsp. water
chili powder
salt/pepper
1 Tbsp. (or so) fresh cilantro
My rice was already cooked, so I just heated it up in the microwave in a little water and covered for about 4 minutes.
Meanwhile heat the water in a medium saucepan and add green onions and garlic. Cook over medium heat until tender.
Add tomatoes, chili powder, salt/pepper, and rice. Mix real well. Warm on medium heat. Add cilantro right before serving.
I really thought it was good. Hope you do too.

After we ate dinner, it was time for dessert. The kids helped me before Eric got home. We fried up a few flour tortillas cut in triangles. The kids then sprinkled them with cinnamon and sugar (which my idea of "sprinkle" has a very different meaning than the kids').
I topped the tortilla with a dollop of ice cream and drizzled with honey. It was delicious.

What a fun night to have a fiesta at our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment