Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Lima Bean Wreath

I made this new wreath. {I got the inspiration from another blog: http://mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com/2011/08/lima-bean-wreath.html.}

So, here's what you need:
Styrofoam wreath - I used a 40% off coupon at Michael's and paid a little over $5.00 for it.
2-16 oz bags of dried Lima beans {I used the large Lima beans}
4 big glue sticks {it takes a lot of glue}
Wooden letters {I got mine from Michael's}
Ribbon
Spray paint in gloss finish {use whatever color you want. I used Krylon Ivory}



The first thing you need to do to make this wreath is make sure you have some time and some shows on your DVR to watch. It takes a while..about 2 hours to just put on the Lima beans. Saying that, let's get started.
Heat up your hot glue gun and make sure you have a lot of glue because it takes a lot.

Once the glue gun is heated, place a small dot of glue on each Lima bean and place them along the inside of the wreath.

Keep on gluing around and around all along the inside.
Once you've finished the inside, move on to the outside. Continue with the same gluing and placing along the outside of the wreath.
When you've completed the inside and outside rim, move on to the front. Follow the same procedure...you're not asleep yet are you??? It takes a while and you have to be careful not to burn yourself with the glue {and yes I'm speaking strictly from experience.}
And here we go...All the beans are on...cute huh? Well, there's still more.
Next, you want to take it outside and spray it with whatever color spray paint you've chosen.
I really like the ivory. The beans are already an ivory color, so the paint just adds a gloss to the beans and helps it look a little more 3D to the Styrofoam wreath.

Now, time to decorate. I was looking for an "L" at Michael's to use like Marie did from the "lilpinkpocket". But I couldn't find an L that would work. So, the brain started to think of alternatives...then it hit me...it's football season - ah-ha, here we go.

I spray painted the UGA black and let it dry.
After both the beans and the letters were completely dry, I hot glued the letters onto the wreath.

Last, I used some thick red ribbon I got at Michael's and hung it on the front door.


Is that not the cutest thing ever??? I just love it!
I've been working on another one but can't post the pictures yet...it's a bit of a surprise...shhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment