Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Just a little kid fun

Yesterday I got to do something I have done in about 20 years...I went roller skating. My good friend, Kat, said she was going to take her daughter skating and wanted to know if Hunter and I wanted to go. I've been wanting to try it but knew I couldn't take both of my kids at the same time, so I thought, "sure, why not."
After paying we went to get our skates. Granted they are not as ugly as bowling shoes but they are still pretty ugly. Although, Hunter's were so little they were really cute!
Ella and Hunter were very excited, but had no clue as to what they were getting themselves into....


 The whole time we're putting the kids' and our own skates on, Kat and I were giggling like little school girls.













Once we all had our skates one we began to try and stand..first things first, people. It's been more than 20 years for both of us.
We steadied ourselves and got the kids to their feet and made our way to the rink.
I am pleased to say that once I stepped onto that hard wood floor, it all came back to me.
I could hear Ms. Bobbie Hill's voice in my head. She is the one who taught me how to skate at our elementary school skate parties that we had almost every Friday. As I held Hunter's hands and tried to guide him around the rink, I had so many flashbacks of those days at Thurston Elementary School. The music was the same and the smell of popcorn lingering throughout the place was the same. I was in another happy place.
Hunter and Ella on the other hand looked like little colts trying to learn how to walk minutes after they were born. Their arms and legs were flailing and they couldn't go but a couple of steps without falling down. We were all laughing so hard. It literally took us 15 minutes to make it around the rink...once.
But after a little while they really caught on. There were a few times (toward the end) that they made their way all the way around with only one fall. I think that's pretty good for their first time on 8 wheels (4 on each foot...duh.)

Funny thing was...we didn't even feel the "epic" earthquake that hit. Kat got a call from her husband but we never felt a thing...I guess that's probably a good thing. :o)

By the end of our visit to the skating rink not only did the kids start gaining confidence in ther shuffle around the slick floor on wheels, but Kat and I got to gain our confidence as wel, and we even tried to pull out the ole Tootsie Roll. It wasn't too pretty though! {I won't quit my day job anytime soon.}







As we took those heavy skates off and giggled over how much fun we had and when we're going back, I truely cannot wait. I especially cannot wait to take Dallas for her first time on skates too.












No comments:

Post a Comment