Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Honey-Do-List

Somehow the summer has snuck away from us and our poor yard has really taken the brunt of it...the weather being way too hot to get out and the fact that we are so busy, we haven't done yard work {besides the cutting of the grass here and there} for a couple of months now. The bushes were overgrown. The grass was too long. The weeds were taking over. This weekend was and is the first weekend in months that we didn't have anything "to do"...no parties, no soccer, no travel, anything {as Hunter likes to say for nothing}. We decided to use our time and focus on the yard and give her some TLC.
I snuck out for a little while and went to the fabric store to pick out some fabric for my new dining room chairs. After many texts to friends and my Mama I decided on one...so excited.
When I got home, the kids were playing with the hose. It was so cute and reminded of my brother and me when we were kids. They didn't need the slip-n-slide or the sprinkler. They were happy with the hose and the spray nozzle attached. They were playing so well and having so much fun. I asked Eric what he needed me to do and the list went on and on. So, I grabbed the trimmer and started trimming up the bushes and getting them back into shape. He sprayed all the weeds{and man do we have a lot}. He cut the grass, and I'm still trimming the bushes and raking up the trash.
After raking up my trimmings I moved on to the Crape Myrtle and started trimming it up. The branches were so long and over hung the sidewalk. It was really shabby, but got itself a good haircut.
I then get out one of my favorite yard utensils, the edger....I love that thing. I edged all around the sidewalk and driveway. I then started to sweep it all up, but remembered we had a blower. Man what a difference. It think it's my other favorite yard utensil.
While I'm doing my yard work, Eric finished cutting the grass and started ripping out bushes that I've been wanting to take out. He only got one so far, but it's already looking better.

 We worked hard and long and all the while the kids were being kids...playing in the hose, riding their bikes, playing ball, and drawing with sidewalk chalk. They were being great. Not once did they argue or fuss. We actually had time to do our work and they had fun playing with each other. The giggles and cackles that came from the driveway and the playset put a smile on my face and warmed my heart.
Dallas with the hairbow of course and me with the headband {with a flower}


And of course Daddy and Hunter













I did notice as I was cleaning up, I still have things to do. 1)I need a new wreath for the front door. My fourth of July one is a bit outdated. {I bought the stuff today for a new one.}
and 2) I need to pay some attention to my front beds. They are a bit sad and burned up from the rough summer heat. I just really want to rip everything out and start over. What do you think?

But, we were all pooped and needed a break from the yard. We piled in the car and went up to get Sno-cones...what better way to cool off, right?

When we got home I showered and started on the next task at hand...the dining room chairs. Eric and I worked together. I covered the seats and he put them together.










I just LOVE how they turned out! They are perfect.

And that was just yesterday? How did you spend your Saturday? I must say though, it was so nice to get a few things checked off our "Honey-Do-List".

No comments:

Post a Comment