Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Something Old, Something New, Something "Borrowed", Something {Blue}

We have a new phenomenon in our house...loose teeth. It all started a few months ago when the kids were playing outside. They were doing something they shouldn't have but swore to me they wouldn't get hurt...famous last words. Next thing you know, Hunter hit his mouth on Dallas' head and knocked his front tooth.
He cried for a little bit, but it didn't seem like that big a deal. Then we noticed his front tooth was turning grey...yes grey. I rushed him to the dentist only to find that this is very common in children, and basically it would just get loose and fall out.
Well, this started the new phenomenon. I immediately called my mama, because who else do you call in the state of crisis??? She giggled a little. I then casually and only half way kidding said that she needed to make Hunter a tooth fairy pillow.
You see when my brother and I were little my mama cross-stitched us tooth fairy pillows. I loved mine and had it on my bed for years!
Being the wonderful mama and grandmama that she is she eased my mind and said she'd get to work on it. And of course she did...and did nothing but work on that thing - every night, on vacation, every day...bless her.
A week or two went by and Dallas started kindergarten. The night before she started we discovered that she had a lose tooth. Dallas being Dallas freaked out! She started into hysterics of how she did not want her tooth to fall  out. After calming her down and convincing her that her tooth wasn't going to fall out, she went to sleep. Of course who do I cal...Mama...it's a crisis here. Now both my kids are going to lose teeth...and if you don't know me, know this - I don't do loose teeth.
Mama simply giggled once again and calmed me down...because that's what Mama's do.
A couple of weeks go by and a box shows up in our mailbox. I look at it and it's addressed to Dallas. I help her open it and we both were taken aback. Dallas had received my tooth fairy pillow. Mama Suzy sent her my pillow for when her teeth fall out.
Dallas' reaction was priceless. I will never forget it. We were in the van. She gasped...yes a 5 year old can gasp. She pulled it out and hugged it to her chest. Her response was, "Mommy, Mama Suzy sent me my tooth fairy pillow."
Wait, W.H.A.T.?! Your tooth fairy pillow? That's MY tooth fairy pillow young lady.
Shamefully, yes that was my initial reaction. Luckily it was all inward and I didn't actually say that out loud. Instead I responded "Wow. Isn't it beautiful. I'm so glad you have it. Mama Suzy made that for me when I was a little girl and I'm so happy that you can use it." {Key word here..."use"}
No I'm not stingy and yes it is hers now. But I have to admit there's something about that pillow. It brings back so many memories for me as a child...leaving my teeth in it and seeing what the tooth fairy brought me in exchange.
The back is pink with little rosettes all over it. There's a dainty lace that is part of the trim around it, and the cross-stitched fairy is just beautiful. As a child I cherished that pillow that my mama made me, but now that I could actually pass it on to my daughter I cherish it even more.















Then a few weeks after receiving my old tooth fairy pillow for Dallas, Hunter received a box in the mail. He opened it and the smile that went across his face was priceless. He grabbed his pillow out of the box and carried it around with him for two days...it now has a special place on his bed.
His pillow looks just like the one my brother had including the same blue backing.















Funny thing is, no one has lost a tooth yet. Dallas now has three lose teeth, and she's not quite sure how she feels about that. She loves to think about using the pillow, but she doesn't like to wiggle her teeth or think about them falling out. And Hunter's tooth is still not budging.
We haven't been able to use the tooth fairy pillows as of today but who knows, the time will come, and when it does they will each have their own special pillows to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment