Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Teacher Appreciation

Spring is definitely here…the pollen is thick, the flowers are blooming, and it’s time to show our appreciation to our teachers.

As a former teacher, I know how {these days especially} teachers definitely feel under-appreciated. I always like this week, because it’s a way families can pay a little attention to those wonderful people who are with our kids for so many hours each day/week.

This week is Teacher Appreciation Week at Hunter’s preschool. Monday was “Treat Day”. We could either have the children make cards or bring in a baked good for the teachers.

I love to bake, but with me watching my calories, I knew that one, most of the treats would end up at home and two, I would be the only one to eat them.

So, of course I started scouring Pinterest to find the perfect “low calorie” {if that even exits} sweet treat for Hunter’s teachers…and me.

I love Lemon Bars and came across this great looking recipe. It’s the Two Ingredient Lemon Bars.

Pinned Image

Yes, you read that correctly…two ingredients!

All you need:

A box of Angel Food Cake Mix

1 can of Lemon Pie Filling

Blog stuff 2012 001

Once you have your two ingredients…mix the two until blended.

Pour into a greased 13X9 pan and bake at 350 degrees.

The recipe says to bake for 20 minutes.

Honestly, I found that 20 minutes was a little too long for me. The bars were great but a little too “cakey” for me.

Next time I’ll bake them for 15 minutes and go from there. I like my lemon bars a little gooey.

Blog stuff 2012 002

I do think they turned out great for a teacher’s gift though.

Blog stuff 2012 004

Best part of all…from my little calorie counter, these bars are about 50 calories per bar/square…not bad!

Today was “Flower day”. We were supposed to bring a flower to the teachers.

Well, of course I have to think outside of the box.

I found this adorable fabric flower headband on a blog I follow…found HERE.

I thought, perfect, and got to work…

I first found two fabrics I wanted to use. I then cut four 3” circles out of one fabric, and four 2” circles out of the other fabric.

I then followed the tutorial. I folded each circle in half and then in half again…it made a triangle. I put a tiny dab of hot glue at the bottom in the center of the triangle to hold it together.

Once the triangles were made, I cut out two 3” circles in some felt I had on hand. I then placed the the big “triangles around the felt and hot glued down. I placed the smaller triangles on top and glued them down.

Blog stuff 2012 007

Once all the pieces were placed and glued, I sewed a button in the center and “poofed'” it a little.

Blog stuff 2012 008

To attach it to the headband, I cut a second piece of 3” felt. I glued it on the inside of the headband and hot-glued the flower piece onto the second piece of felt.

Blog stuff 2012 009 

I didn’t like the color of the headband, so I wrapped it with white ribbon.

Hunter has two teachers so I made two…of course.

Blog stuff 2012 010

His teachers seemed to be pretty happy with my interpretation of “Flower Day”.

No matter what you take your teachers, just know that saying “Thank You” is what really makes them feel appreciated…and extra hugs don’t hurt.

So, to all my former, present, past, and future teachers out there…THANK YOU for all that you do and endure each and every day!

1 comment:

  1. Funny, I made these and they were way too soft and gooey that they completely feel apart. You couldn't even pick them up!

    ReplyDelete